ford ranger owner leonardb from montgomery Al | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ford ranger owner leonardb from montgomery Al

leonardb

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery,Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford ranger
I have got a problem passenger suicide door will not open due to lower lock not working need to know how to get panel off with the door closed so I can get to the botton lock and repair it. thanks in advance

The classic cause of the problem is the cable sheath "stops" on either (or both) ends of the cable sheath crumble away and when you try and open the door, the cable sheath simply sides in the latch bracket and the cable itself does not pull on the latch release.

Probably the easiest thing is to remove the pull handle, it's simply a type of rivet you can drill out (3/16" I think). Center pin can be pushed out with a punch and the aluminum rivet is very easy to drill.

With the handle free, you can pull on the upper cable end and encourage the latch free. The upper cable routes to the lower latch, the lower cable to the upper latch.

Best of my knowledge, the cables are not available, but you can use bicycle cable barrel adjusters as substitutes for the original sheath stops.

The latch ends are fixed in place, the handle ends have small plastic clips that allow assembly. You'll see those when you get the handle off.

Be warned, once the first cable sheath stop crumbles away, the other 7 are likely not far behind.

Leonardb, let me know if you need one of the cables or the handle I have extra's from when I replaced the r/s rear door on my 2000 Ranger I still have an extra set of upper & lower cables, & the handle.

Back