Ford Ranger problem , P0301 Cyl 1 Missfire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Ranger problem , P0301 Cyl 1 Missfire

Lemondrop

Reaction score
City, State
Cocoa , Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport , 1996 XLT 5.0
Ok ,
Start off the truck is not mine it's my buddies . He asked me to look at it because it was missing and running bad when he stopped at a light . I found a vacuum hose under the intake (2.3L) broken so we replaced the hoses . One of the intake bolts was loose and stripped out so we decided to change the gasket and do the plugs/wires while there fixing the stripped bolt (assumed more vacuum leaks) . He pulled #1's plugs (2 per cyl) and one had a cracked insulator , I assume from the lean condition and detonation resulting from it . I repulled the plugs on #1 and checked to be sure he gapped them right and that they were not oil soaked/etc.
I also swapped the PCV valve out , cleaned the MAF and then put it together . Cleared the codes via my handheld and ran the truck . #1 missfire shows back up with the engine running poorly at idle . Underload it's OK .

No smoke from the engine exhaust , removed the oil fill cap and it was not pulsing from a blow-by condition . The engine actually almost stalled from removal of the fill cap (as it should) . No engine noises , no nothing .
Have NOT dona compression test on the engine (ran out of time today) but did pull the wiring off #1's fuel injector and then engine began missing so I know #1 is firing to some extent .
The engine does chug when it idles , like a miss but I am not sure if it's a lean/rich miss or not since I can't find a true dead hole .

Does a P0301 set if it detects a missfire on the coil or does it set the codes off rich/lean exhaust readings ?

BTW , the coil for the pass side plugs has an issue with the connector I don't like . I can lift the connector up where it connects to the coil , like the coil is broken . The coil for the drivers side does not do the same thing so I think the coil might be broken BUT when I pull the plug wires off the coil-pack it is sparking HARD and FAST so I assume the coil to be OK .

Back