• Register Today It's free!

Ford ranger starting issues

rangerroger

Reaction score
City, State
oahu
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford ranger
2001 Ford Ranger having trouble starting... Sometimes. Battery has been tested and is good.The sound I get when I turn key is 'click', the lights and the radio work. Usually if I jiggle to negative terminal it starts right up. Sounds like a short but not sure how to start the troubleshooting process. Thanks friends!

...Ok BTW a few things i've noticed. If the AC, Wipers, or Headlights are on when I turn it off it won't start back up without a jiggle of the terminal leads. If all of those things are off BEFORE i turn the truck off it starts up fine every time! hope that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean the battery post and clamps. Make sure that the battery cables are good, maybe even replace. Sometimes they look good but can corrode under the plastic where you dont see. Look at your starter and make sure that the small black wire to the selenoid is tight and the large red wire is bolted tight. Make sure that the cable clamps on the battery are tight.

One other thing check that the non battery side negative cable has not loosened up.

Did those have a seperate solenoid for the starter? It'd be attached to the firewall or possibly near the fender. One wire goes to the starter, one goes to the battery.

Yep my bad missed that it was a Ranger.

replaced cables, there was some definite corrosion deep inside. seems to be working fine now. thanks all

Glad you got it running better.

Back