Ford Ranger with 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Ranger with 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel

Ran440

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 F-250 PSD
Hi all
New to this site. I usually hang out at The Diesel Stop .com because I currently own a F-250 Powerstroke Diesel. I have been researching small trucks with diesels and found that Ford makes a Ranger with a 3.0L International Powerstroke Diesel. The catch is it is sold in Brazil, South America. Not sure where it is actually produced.
Have any of you Ranger guys heard of this beast? I found it when I went to Fords web site then clicked on their Brazil link. Can't figure out much because the site is in Portuguese. Not my second language. :)

Randy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is info on the engine on the international diesel site. I believe it to be a 2.8L powerstroke though. Would love one for my Ranger, but last I checked, the cheapest seen was $7K.

Doug
Neither of those diesel engines were the ones I saw. They were definitely advertised as International Power Stroke Diesels. I found the one that tmsoko mentioned. That was a 2.8 L. I'm pretty sure I also saw a 3.0 PSD advertised on the Ford Brazil site.
Yesterday I stopped at a local Ford dealer here in Flint, Mi. Told him he could sell me a Ranger if I could get it with one of those PSD in it. He said he would talk to his product rep. I will post his comments.

Here is a couple of links you might want to look at.
http://www.nav-international.com.br/noticias_int.asp?Idioma=2&Notic=420
http://www.nav-international.com.br/Motores_Menu.asp?Tipo=1&Idioma=2

Randy

I can't believe that a sales rep actually told you that, I will be interested on his back-pedaling when he can't make it happen. I believe that Ranger fans have been trying to get a diesel imported for many years, with no luck.

Most engines available only outside of the US, are that way because of one reason, they can't meet US emmision standards.

Hrm, There is a 3.0 in those links you posted but they're now Powerstrokes. The only powerstroke listed there that's smaller than the 7.3 is the 2.8l. There are alot of neat smaller diesels available around the world but I imagine getting parts for any of them would be a total pita.

I believe the next gen or the diesel Ranger will in fact be sold in the US.
At least that was rumored in the last couple years.
They better, everyone else will have small diesel trucks here, the Jeep Liberty is coming soon....

tmsoko

Yea, that's the one I saw. If that motor in a Ranger works as well as the 7.3 works in my F-250 Superduty it would be one fantastic small truck. Haven't heard anything from the dealer yet.

Randy

Seem to be getting the run-around from Ford. Dealers don't know much. Tell me to contact Ford. Contacted Ford's customer assistance and they told me I need to talk to my local dealer about product availability. Huh??? I think this is worth pursuing so I will keep trying.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Randy

Contact a dealer in Brazil... The reason it is not available in the US is two fold, one the trans used with that engine is not compliant with cold weather, so they would need to launch a new trans in the truck. Also (and more importantly), the engine is not compliant with US emissions. No NA Ford dealer will be able to import it. You could import directly yourself and work with the Buerau of Motor Vehicles to get transfer title and tags. Not sure what they will do about the emission part.

Another option is to buy an engine from those trucks. There is a guy selling the 2.8L engines on eBay right now - only $5200 Buy It Now. Hmm.. for that kind of cash, I could buy alot of gasoline for my V8!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-8-...cmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ7999814434

Hi all
New to this site. I usually hang out at The Diesel Stop .com because I currently own a F-250 Powerstroke Diesel. I have been researching small trucks with diesels and found that Ford makes a Ranger with a 3.0L International Powerstroke Diesel. The catch is it is sold in Brazil, South America. Not sure where it is actually produced.
Have any of you Ranger guys heard of this beast? I found it when I went to Fords web site then clicked on their Brazil link. Can't figure out much because the site is in Portuguese. Not my second language. :)

Randy

Just found your post. I am living in Brasil, I have a 2012 Ford Ranger 4 door cab pick up, 5 foot bed, 4X4, 3/4 ton truck. .The powertrain is a 3.0 Liter Inter Cooled International Powerstroke turbo diesel 5 speed manual trans. It has 180 HP and 300 FP of torque. I average 30 mpg. With a 1/2 ton load, ac running, 70 mph I still get 28 mpg. I cant bring the truck to the USA as government will not allow it in. However the powertrain can be exported from brasil to the USA. This powertrain would be perfect to install in an F-150 pickup in the USA.

Just found your post. I am living in Brasil, I have a 2012 Ford Ranger 4 door cab pick up, 5 foot bed, 4X4, 3/4 ton truck. .The powertrain is a 3.0 Liter Inter Cooled International Powerstroke turbo diesel 5 speed manual trans. It has 180 HP and 300 FP of torque. I average 30 mpg. With a 1/2 ton load, ac running, 70 mph I still get 28 mpg. I cant bring the truck to the USA as government will not allow it in. However the powertrain can be exported from brasil to the USA. This powertrain would be perfect to install in an F-150 pickup in the USA.
Truck sale ad here http://carro.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-726208247-ford-ranger-xlt-4x4-cabine-dupla-30-16v-_JM

The international 3.0 powerstroke diesel ranger is Produced in Argentina. These are no longer available as Ford went to a 3.2 liter clean diesel that is Junk. The last good year for the 3.0 powerstroke was 2012. Many low mileage used trucks available cheap in brasil now.

Hey, thanks for the reply! Great to see how global these forums are! Looks like the truck you listed would be around $16,350 USD, so not too bad.

How much are you seeing the engines for sale these days? I know it is crazy expensive to ship into Brazil, any idea on cost to ship out? Definitely an interesting thought!

Back