kevin p

Reaction score
City, State
Telford Shropshire England
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.o sohc
I've had my Explorer for 7 years now and have just had a safety

recall notice for the 'Speed control Deactivation Switch'

As many of you may know, the Ex could go up in a ball of fire just standing on my drive untill it has a new wiring harness installed.

Any comments on the reaction of my dealer when I ring them up!!!!!!!!

This could be fun. lol.

Kev.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mod

well they wont be happy but will have to do it. probly say they have to order part from u.s. and will want car for a day. thats if they know what a explorer is. dont you just love ford uk dealers. cheers chris

Does this apply to all explorers? and if so how do I know if mine has been done or not?

Yo Chris,

Its booked in for the 5th Jan.
Whats the chance of it being done on that day? No Chance.

Taking bets for about March I reacon.

Anybody have there's done recently?

Kev.

Jarmo,

I just presumed mine had been done.
This is completly out of the blue.

I enquired about 2 years ago to see if there were any oustanding recalls and was told no.

Kev.

ill have to check my explorer.

do i need to foot the bill?or ford?

i went into two of my dealers and they both had no idea of wot an explorer is.they had to head out for a look.lol

anyone got a diecast model of the explorer.i cant get any anywhere?

Thanks for the info brooklynbay.

There is no charge to the owner, Ford foot the bill.

I got one of these letters today too. I'll book it in after Christmas. My local Ford dealership didn't know what an Explorer is either.

iv also got a letter in to, but the vehical was scrapped to chris lol, maybe he would be able to take the harness free of charge lol

cheers for posting kevin,looks like mine was done by ford who was the 1st owner of my explorer mind you they never put the revised tensioner in maybe they done the guides etc.as i dont have the death rattle! thanks anyway for posting ,richard

Hmm, had that recall ages ago! Ford called me in looked at it and ordered part, then insisted on fitting it themselves, and so made me go in and leave it with them for a day!
It is a direct swap and the new part has a fuse link in it- thats about all the diferance I can see!
Wonder why they have left yours till now...what would have happened if it had caught fire before you got the letter?
FFS Ford get a grip and serve the UK owners!!!

The 96-97 models do not provide power to the cruise control inhibitor switch when the vehicle is turned off, thus it cannot burn when the vehicle is turned off.

On the 98-01 models power is providing to the cruise control inhibitor switch all the time, so it can burn with the vehicle turned off. This could cause a fire with the vehicle unattended. I believe in the states that when this happens the car has usually been left in the garage, resulting in more than just a car fire.

This is why the 98-01 vehicles where dealt with prior to the 96-97 vehicles.

so to cap it all off! once youve had revised tensioners, removed the firestone tyres (exploding tyres apparently ive read on here) and changed the wiring harness which causes car to ignite , you should have a really nice explorer that will last until the next recall should there be any:)

One more addition swampy,

Educate Ford dealers as to what an Explorer is/was.

or at least our own explorer dealer center without rip off prices lol

Mine had that recall done earlier in the year and Arnold Clarke were NOT pleased that I took such an old vehicle in to see them.... Took them 2 hours to decide and agree that it needed the recall - dispite the paperwork and another week to get the part.....

I got the feeling they didnt like having it dirty there lovely clean workshop!

Chris

do u need to recieve a letter or shall i head to ford and find out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back