• Register Today It's free!

Ford Remote Start Accessory

uniquename

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT
Since I can't get it from Ford, sometime before next winter I want a remote start put in. I've never had one, but I thought I saw in the past that it can be done with the factory key fob. Since the key has the fob built in, I don't want to carry extra or I would just use the aftermarket remote.

Ideas? Anyone else been down this path?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3 Ford Accessory Remote Starts for XLT - which did you choose?

Yeah, I know - there are multiple remote start threads out there - and I couldn't figure out which one made the most sense to add to, so I'm starting my own.

There are three separate options in the Ford Accessory catalog for the OEM add on remote start.

100 is the two new key option with approximately a 300 ft range. $228.57

200 is the single new key fob with approximately a 900 ft range $355.71
It's fully integrated with the vehicle's driver information center, which means you control remote start run time, rear-window defrost and much more.
The system enables you to start the engine from more than 3 football fields away (distance may vary depending on vehicle location and environment).
To confirm your vehicle is running, the fob emits audible beeps and flashes the remote start button.
The 200 Series also helps protect your valuables via an exclusive IT-s® 2-stage shock sensor.
All this remote start genius is tied directly to your vehicle's electronic architecture through no-splice, no-cut technology.

300 is the single new key fob with approximately a 1,000 ft range $298.57
No shock sensor, etc.

Based on where I park for work, I think that the 200 or 300 would be most appropriate to get the Ex started a couple minutes prior to arriving at the car.

So my question is - What is your experience with the real world range on these?

Does anyone have experience installing the 200 or 300 series? It says on the
200 that dealer install is recommended, but has anyone installed one of the 200 or 300 themselves?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Remote_Start.jpg
    Remote_Start.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 6,648

not sure about which one is best, but there is another option if you don't have an electric liftgate. It installs the remote stat button on the factory key in the spot that is used for the electric liftgate. But if you have the electric liftgate then that option isn't so great. I believe it is a bit cheaper and you don't have to carry a separate fob.

That is option 100 from the accessory catalog.

I went with that. Don't have a power liftgate so it was the obvious choice.
Please research the other threads about remote start. Those explain why the "option 100" is just a set of new keys, the rest is software activation by the dealer.

Please research the other threads about remote start. Those explain why the "option 100" is just a set of new keys, the rest is software activation by the dealer.
Thanks - I'm aware of the Option 100. What kind of real world distance do you get in starting the car?

I'm really interested in the 200 & 300 version to see if they really get almost 1,000 feet of distance.

Thanks - I'm aware of the Option 100. What kind of real world distance do you get in starting the car?

I'm really interested in the 200 & 300 version to see if they really get almost 1,000 feet of distance.

I went with the Bi-Directional for the simple reason of the remote letting you know if the car started or not. If it only works for 100', I don't care...but now I don't have to walk to the door to hear it start.

I went with the Bi-Directional for the simple reason of the remote letting you know if the car started or not. If it only works for 100', I don't care...but now I don't have to walk to the door to hear it start.
200 or 300?

Do you have a feeling for how far the range is?

And did the dealer have to install it? If so, if you don't mind, how much did they charge on top of the cost of the starter?

The range on the 100 is not great. I can start the car on my driveway from inside the house. I usually stick the remote against my chin when I press the button, it literally multiplies the range....

The 1,000 version because it would have taken the dealer longer to get the 200. The 200 also comes with a theft system built in. It costed like $28 to get installed. When you select a dealer on fordaccessories.com, it gives you a price to install. I haven't tested it yet because I had it installed on friday and I haven't gotten my X back yet.

The range on the 100 is not great. I can start the car on my driveway from inside the house. I usually stick the remote against my chin when I press the button, it literally multiplies the range....
My brother taught me that trick years ago. I've used it regularly! Thanks for the range report. That was my thought - that the 100 would have no better range than the stock key - which is not bad, but not as far as I want.

The 1,000 version because it would have taken the dealer longer to get the 200. The 200 also comes with a theft system built in. It costed like $28 to get installed. When you select a dealer on fordaccessories.com, it gives you a price to install. I haven't tested it yet because I had it installed on friday and I haven't gotten my X back yet.
And thanks for that info, too. I'll be ordering one or the other of the 200/300. Getting cold around here and I'm getting old. :D

I didn't want leather seats because of the cold factor in the winter. The ability to turn on the seat heaters in advance is priceless!

$28 to installed? Really that cheap? My Salesman offered it to me and the price was $500 installed. I want it but for $500, I'm going to wait.

$28 to installed? Really that cheap? My Salesman offered it to me and the price was $500 installed. I want it but for $500, I'm going to wait.

The prices are different through fordaccessories.com, and you buy the installation directly from Ford. The dealership has NO say in it. Also, check different dealerships. I got mine installed for $279 TOTAL....for whatever reason, the dealer I choose to go to gets like a 25% discount.

The prices are different through fordaccessories.com, and you buy the installation directly from Ford. The dealership has NO say in it. Also, check different dealerships. I got mine installed for $279 TOTAL....for whatever reason, the dealer I choose to go to gets like a 25% discount.
On the Ford accessories site, when I choose my preferred dealer, it says "Request Quote". There is another dealer that has a "Shop this Dealer" button where they have installation for $35.

I checked with my dealer this morning and they were able to find a 300 series at one of their suppliers, so they ordered it. I have an appointment on Friday to get it installed. They are a small dealer, so I should be able to hang with the tech while he does it. I'd love to see just where it goes, and what is needed to update the vehicle electronics to make it work.

I'll report back after it's done. We'll see what kind of range it has. From my office to the garage is about 450 ft. according to Google. I'll be interested to see if I can start the Explorer from my desk. :D

I emailed my dealer back and forth and they told me they do not install Factory Alarms, however, they have a company that does it for them. They also do not install customer supplied alarm system. Price quoted me was $400 and it is not integrated into MFT. Does this seem right?

Thinking of purchasing the 100 series... How do I know if I need the Hood Switch Kit or not???

Thinking of purchasing the 100 series... How do I know if I need the Hood Switch Kit or not???

The dealer could run your VIN and tell you if your EX is equipted with it or not.

As and update, my Bi-Directional seems to work at around 300-400 feet from inside a building, but further than that is a crapshoot.

It's pretty obvious. It sits on the top of the cross member in front of the radiator on the driver's side. it has a little domed rubber boot on top.

Just had the 300 series installed today. Definitely not a $35 job. That must be if they just have to program keys or something. The 300 requires dismantling the interior including the inside A pillar, console, loosen the headliner, etc. There is a new module to install and a couple different cables to run, including one for the antenna transmitter/receiver that mounts below the mirror on the inside. it looks like the key fob and is definitely an auxiliary to give it more distance.

The dealer charged me two hours to install it. It took every bit of that and more. Since this was the first they have done, they thought it should take a while less if they had more experience, so they gave me a break. :thumbsup: Great dealer!

As and update, my Bi-Directional seems to work at around 300-400 feet from inside a building, but further than that is a crapshoot.
I'll see what kind of range I get. Have to play with it this weekend.

And the controls are now active on the left hand display screen.

I tested it at the dealer's and at my house, but not from a distance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tested the range on the 300 series today. From way on up in an office building, I can see the roof of the garage I park in. Clear line of site and about 400 feet away horizontally.

My Explorer was parked one level down from the roof. When I got into the office, I tried it from the window - no joy. The remote just gave me a blink code for no connection. I guess the concrete and rebar in the garage blocked out the signal (even though the "windows" in the garage are open to the outdoors).

When I left office tonight, I tried again when I was in the lobby. Again no joy.

When I walked outside and around the corner to the street that the garage is on, I tried it again. The Explorer accepted the signal and started, providing confirmation on the key fob. The Explorer was purring away when I got up to the floor.

That's about what I expected. I'm happy with it.

Back