Ford Remote Start Accessory | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Remote Start Accessory

rojomoto - can you get a picture of the MFT screen with the remote start options?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Difference?

I was on PartsCheap's website and saw 2 different remote starters.

http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-Explorer-Remote-Start-Long-Range-p/cl3z-19g364-b-ex11.htm

and the one that is shown in the guide,

http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-Explorer-Remote-Start-p/bb5z-19g364-e.htm

What is the major difference between the two?

Side Note:

During my 10,000 mile service my Ford dealer wouldn't do remote starter installs, they sub-contract it out to a car audio type of place. They didn't give me a real reason why they wouldn't. I contacted audio shop and they would do the install for $399 but, I am almost certain that it was aftermarket and not OEM. I don't like the idea of splicing wires and prefer plug and play.

I was on PartsCheap's website and saw 2 different remote starters.

http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-Explorer-Remote-Start-Long-Range-p/cl3z-19g364-b-ex11.htm

and the one that is shown in the guide,

http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-Explorer-Remote-Start-p/bb5z-19g364-e.htm

What is the major difference between the two?

Side Note:

During my 10,000 mile service my Ford dealer wouldn't do remote starter installs, they sub-contract it out to a car audio type of place. They didn't give me a real reason why they wouldn't. I contacted audio shop and they would do the install for $399 but, I am almost certain that it was aftermarket and not OEM. I don't like the idea of splicing wires and prefer plug and play.

The bi-directional one that's in this guide let's you know the vehicle has started by the green led and beep while the other one doesn't. It's wrth the extra $46.

Also , as far as I can tell (I just ordered mine) the OEM will integrate with the Manual and/or Automatic Climate Control...

I'm sure someone else can verify this...

Joe

FYI

I ordered the bi-directional remote starter from Partscheap.com and they are on back order.

rojomoto - can you get a picture of the MFT screen with the remote start options?

The remote screen is under Settings->Vehicle->Remote Start

Winnipeg-20120106-00621.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photo, i took it with my phone.

Under Climate Control these are the options.

Winnipeg-20120106-00622.jpg

Each of these has the option for last settings or auto.

Winnipeg-20120106-00623.jpg

I haven't adjusted them from Auto as it seems to work well up here because it is well below the freezing mark.

Also , as far as I can tell (I just ordered mine) the OEM will integrate with the Manual and/or Automatic Climate Control...

I'm sure someone else can verify this...

Joe

See my response above ^^

I just installed my remote start...

rojomoto's instructions were very helpful..

Took a little over an hour..

I have an appointment Tues. with the Dealer to do their part..

Joe

The dealer charged me 1 Hr. labor... $102.00

The kit cost $242.00 with shipping from Ford Super Center..

Originally the dealer quoted me a price of $617.00 Installed...

I saved $273.00 by doing it myself...

Joe

The dealer charged me 1 Hr. labor... $102.00

The kit cost $242.00 with shipping from Ford Super Center..

Originally the dealer quoted me a price of $617.00 Installed...

I saved $273.00 by doing it myself...

Joe

Can't beat that! Did the dealer give you any guff about voiding warranty issues since you did the installation yourself? That's my only fear.

Can't beat that! Did the dealer give you any guff about voiding warranty issues since you did the installation yourself? That's my only fear.

I really don't see a problem there as it truly is plug and play.. no splicing at all ...

My dealer would not even install the Ford unit, only aftermarket. The parts have 1 year warranty and the labor was mine so if it breaks I will pull the parts and have Ford replace them, and like Joe stated the thing is plug and play so electrical issues shouldn't be a concern.

My dealer would not even install the Ford unit, only aftermarket. The parts have 1 year warranty and the labor was mine so if it breaks I will pull the parts and have Ford replace them, and like Joe stated the thing is plug and play so electrical issues shouldn't be a concern.

Same here my dealer never even mentioned to me that Ford made a unit. They wanted me to go to a car stereo place and install aftermarket. I'm all set having an 18 year old kid hack and slash apart my wires. So I just ordered the remote starter from partscheap.com. I'll be using this as my guide to have a toasty warm Ex in the mornings.

Anyone have a picture of the remote?

Same here my dealer never even mentioned to me that Ford made a unit. They wanted me to go to a car stereo place and install aftermarket. I'm all set having an 18 year old kid hack and slash apart my wires. So I just ordered the remote starter from partscheap.com. I'll be using this as my guide to have a toasty warm Ex in the mornings.

Its UNBELIEVABLE that a Ford dealer would rather use an aftermarket remote start instead of a plug and play unit. WTF???

From Partscheap website

BB5Z-19G364-E-2T.jpg

Thanks, just wanted to confirm that was the image because there are times the images they show aren't what you get.

FWIW...

Ford OEM Bi-Directional Remote Start

Ford Super Center $229.90, $242.00 Shipped...

I bought some other stuff from them.. They had the best pricesI could find...

Fast Delivery Too...

Joe

Thanks again for the pictorial, rojomoto.

The install looks pretty straightforward. The catch is that the body computer has to be updated afterward. If you can get someone to do that for you for a half hour of shop time, you're definitely ahead on install costs.

My dealer is a friend, and he gave me a good price on the module and install, so it was a wash for me.

What I am really happy about is that it works, and works well! I continue to get consistent starts from my office to the parking garage, so it's pretty well warmed up when I go home at night. I'm about 400 feet away and 300 feet up, but I have a direct line of sight to the roof of the garage, and the signal must be bouncing around just enough off adjacent buildings to hit the Explorer, which is on the second to top level.

It also starts really well from inside restaurants, grocery stores, big box retailers, etc. to the parking lot. It has great range, and the bi-directional fob is great because you can tell when it starts.

Some of the best money I've ever spent on a vehicle. Doesn't help my fuel mileage, but I don't really care when it is 20 degrees outside!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They don't have a controller that has the start, lock, unlock, panic, and hatch open button so we don't have to have to separate units?

Back