• Register Today It's free!

bogard1982

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Eddie Bauer
Hi!

I am thinking of installing a Kenwood DNX7340BT to replace the stock HU of my 2009 Ford Explorer. My question is, will this cause any problems with Ford Sync (eg. voice commands, etc)? Furthermore, can I still retain the steering wheel controls with a different HU?

Would appreciate the experts / current owners with the same set up to provide some feedback.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your getting that deck why do you care about the sync? All the sync is for is the bluetooth phone and the ipod/usb. Your new radio has all those functions in it. There are sync retention harnesses out there for the cost of about $250. But to me you can put that towards an adaptor to retaint he steering wheel controls and not worry about sync.

Hi!

It would be good if I could keep the voice commands of the SYNC music player. This is something that the Kenwood 7340BT does not have.

But thanks for the advice on the steering wheel controls.

If you really want that look into pioneer. theirs offer that. voice controlled nav and ipod control

Any new headunit will kill your sync voice controls though it may have it's own. Some aftermarket HUs do work with the steering wheel audio controls though.

^^^ false, there are sync retention harnesses that have the ability for sync to still work. downfall is they go anywhere from 100-250. Depends on the brand and what all features you want to retain.

Any radio that has a remote or you can get one for can take the steering wheel controls. However to get this to work you will NEED another module for that.

This is why when i too my radio out of my edge i lost sync and no wheel controls anymore. I didnt want to buy the interfaces

^^^ false, there are sync retention harnesses that have the ability for sync to still work. downfall is they go anywhere from 100-250. Depends on the brand and what all features you want to retain.

Any radio that has a remote or you can get one for can take the steering wheel controls. However to get this to work you will NEED another module for that.

This is why when i too my radio out of my edge i lost sync and no wheel controls anymore. I didnt want to buy the interfaces

I didn't know of the available retention harnesses, thanks for the correction.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10872#tabs
One of my good friends worked on the Sync project @ Ford and didn't know about these a couple months ago when I asked him about it (in-laws were wanting aftermarket in-dash nav).

If anyone has any expereince with these retention harnesses I'd be curious as to how they work. Looks like you'd need to locate a place for the screen (white? not everything has to look like an iPod! Surely there's a black one somewhere...)

If people have good expereinces with this I may be interesed in doing a similar upgrade in my 09 Fusion.

Back