Ford Timing Chain Tensioner Cutaway | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ford Timing Chain Tensioner Cutaway

Olds67

Reaction score
City, State
Munich
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4x4 highclassSOHC V6
No I unplug the crank sensor and prime with the starter
Alright šŸ‘ where is the sensor? If i may ask. Newbie
Would you change only the tensioners on a 150k gen2 sohc if it has -on document- been serviced well by ford dealership for the last 20 years but has just a slight rattle in neutral. Or better dont change the running system, leave it and wait till it gets worse and then change everything (the notorious big job)
Can i just remove the tensioners and check if they have to be replaced. Is that worth it?
That whole death rattle panic on the Internet makes me paranoid. Just bougt the car and love it. Drives great. Wouldnā€™t have noticed the slight rattle if hadnt heard of it before...

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
If it is rattling at all any time something is broken.
Usually startup rattle
And or
a rattle at 1500-3000 rpm
The best way to check your timing components
1 pull off the lower oil pan look for plastic pieces
2. Pull the valve covers and see everything

<

Olds67

Reaction score
City, State
Munich
Year, Model & Trim Level
If it is rattling at all any time something is broken.
Usually startup rattle
And or
a rattle at 1500-3000 rpm
The best way to check your timing components
1 pull off the lower oil pan look for plastic pieces
2. Pull the valve covers and see everything
Will do! Thanks
Like i said, i wouldnā€™t have noticed it if i hadnt heard about it before. An engine makes noise - especially on with 3-4 frickin chains. Any honda motor iā€˜ve owned was louder. But i will check top and bottom as you mentioned.

<

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
The two external tensioners can be changed at any time and it can help the chains to be tighter than if they had any wear from age etc. There are many parts of the cam timing system, the internal tensioners and the chain cassettes are also fragile and can use extra maintenance after many years. Those are the ones that take a bunch more labor, and the special tool kit to re-time the cams after parts are loosened.

The external tensioners are not expensive, even the OEM are reasonable(don't buy the lesser brands), and I'd try to replace those every 75k miles. Use the best synthetic oil you can, and don't let it go over 5k miles before changing it. Change the air filter regularly, don't let one get dirty which hurts the oil(don't buy K&N filters). That's the best care you can give the SOHC 4.0, those well cared for can go way over 200k without rebuilding.

<

Olds67

Reaction score
City, State
Munich
Year, Model & Trim Level
The two external tensioners can be changed at any time and it can help the chains to be tighter than if they had any wear from age etc. There are many parts of the cam timing system, the internal tensioners and the chain cassettes are also fragile and can use extra maintenance after many years. Those are the ones that take a bunch more labor, and the special tool kit to re-time the cams after parts are loosened.

The external tensioners are not expensive, even the OEM are reasonable(don't buy the lesser brands), and I'd try to replace those every 75k miles. Use the best synthetic oil you can, and don't let it go over 5k miles before changing it. Change the air filter regularly, don't let one get dirty which hurts the oil(don't buy K&N filters). That's the best care you can give the SOHC 4.0, those well cared for can go way over 200k without rebuilding.
Thanks for the advice! I just put in the order for the mentioned parts.

<

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
I bought my last pair of the OEM tensioners from eBay I think, about $75 for the front one and a little less for the rear part. Those should include the tiny crush washer, but be sure to use the washer, they will leak without it, or if it gets put on off center. Just put a dab of RTV on the washer surface to hold it briefly while you thread it on.

<

Olds67

Reaction score
City, State
Munich
Year, Model & Trim Level
I bought my last pair of the OEM tensioners from eBay I think, about $75 for the front one and a little less for the rear part. Those should include the tiny crush washer, but be sure to use the washer, they will leak without it, or if it gets put on off center. Just put a dab of RTV on the washer surface to hold it briefly while you thread it on.
Mh okay... i ordered these
1625158377932.png

Hope these are the right ones. Seems to be a price drop
Good day

<

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Cloyes is 3nd best

melling being 2nd made in America

Your order is fine
Will work great

<

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
I didn't search but one time online, but this link was one of the top choices. The OEM Ford tensioners are more but they are the best among the choices. Some bad brands have both of these for under $30 total shipped, those I would call crap.

Here's the Ford parts, two for $113 plus tax; BRAND NEW FORD MERCURY OEM TIMING BELT TENSIONER 4.0L V6 12V SOHC COMBO SET-4 | eBay
Be sure what you buy includes the crush washers, they are very important. Try to save the old washers just in case; they are reusable if you are careful with them.

<