• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Ford too tough on copyright

bp1506

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Yeah thats been floating on a lot of forums, blogs, and community pages recently. Sux0rz :thumbdwn:

Charlie

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Rick commented on that, then made the calendar thread here visible to moderators only, because he doesn't want to risk that happening here.

TheJackal

Reaction score
City, State
Mandeville, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XL 2WD
Ford did this to a Jaguar group who were also making calendars as well. I never did find out if they were using pictures of their own cars or pictures from somewhere else. The Mustang group clearly says the pictures are of their own car, though.

I don't understand why they'd do something like this. Almost makes me not want to buy another Ford after this.

Charlie

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
I agree, ford is totally out of line with this. They may have made the cars, but they don't have copyrights to any pictures taken of them.

Charlie

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
So... if your trying to SELL your Ford, in the paper or craiglist or the like, can you take a pic of it so people can see what they might be buying? Or is that against the law too?

That's my favorite comment

Exploderpilot

Reaction score
City, State
Nuevo, CA (where?)
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Titan SE
So I guess this means our calendar thread is dead then? No calendar at all? I'll write ford if i have to. Copyright infringement only happens if you DON'T have permission.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
And what about aftermarket companies who use the Ford products , in pictures, to push their products?
Does this mean you now must buy a bumper cover based on a picture of just the cover alone?

If we cannot have a lousy calendar, by golly, they shouldn't have their Steeda ads either--huh?

Exploderpilot

Reaction score
City, State
Nuevo, CA (where?)
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Titan SE
I just emailed ford's public affairs office for help.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I dont agree with this but lets get permission then.

Permission would most likely mean paying Ford royalties. My suggestion is to make your own calenders.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
wow i hope that take ford to court. They have no right

An enthusiast website isn't going to have the legal resources that Ford does. I doubt any lawyer would take a case like that pro-bono...

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
BTW, did you know that it is illegal to photograph the Grand Canyon and other National Monuments with a tripod? Yep, our federal government wants their share of all profits made by professional photographers. They decided that if you are photographing National Monuments with a tripod, you must be a pro. This land is your land, this land is my land, just don't dare to make a buck off of "your land" without paying royalties.

I mentioned that because it very similar to what's going on with the calenders and another example of how far people are willing to go to make every last buck from their product. It doesn't matter whether the product is our truck, or the Grand Canyon.

It's been awhile since I've studied this kind of thing. I believe this is the gist of their reasoning - Ford created the "artwork" that we own and photograph. This is the same as Picasso creating a painting or a sculpture. You can buy the piece of art, and you can photograph it for your own use, but you cannot sell photographs of the artwork without express permission. That's where "officially licensed" products come in.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
BTW, did you know that it is illegal to photograph the Grand Canyon and other National Monuments with a tripod? Yep, our federal government wants their share of all profits made by professional photographers. They decided that if you are photographing National Monuments with a tripod, you must be a pro. This land is your land, this land is my land, just don't dare to make a buck off of "your land" without paying royalties.
Thats just crazy .. see what open market economy does :p: , even the government is competing against Apple and Ford and Nabisco to take your money

flyinguitars500

Reaction score
City, State
Grandville, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 V8 XLT
this is a load of bologna...just another way for them to make money. people will do anything to get money now-a-days

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
<<<Note my new avitar and message under it.