• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Ford too tough on copyright

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
It is law speak.

There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, which off that line- the law is interpreted and decided upon.

Whatever lawyers looked at the calendars and the way the vehicles, logos, etc- were displayed and portrayed- decided that the forum was either inadvertantly or purposely trying to pass off their product as licensed merchandise. That is very different from you owning your vehicle, and how ownership is handled.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
It is law speak.

There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, which off that line- the law is interpreted and decided upon.

Whatever lawyers looked at the calendars and the way the vehicles, logos, etc- were displayed and portrayed- decided that the forum was either inadvertantly or purposely trying to pass off their product as licensed merchandise. That is very different from you owning your vehicle, and how ownership is handled.

I doubt ford was even involved in not letting them print the calendars, it's probably cafepress policy not to print copywrited/trademarked works. When I was in school I tried to get a map out of a textbook copied onto a transparency for a class project and kinko's wouldn't do it, unless my mom signed a waiver that it would only be for personal/educational use. Ford probably didn't get involved until someone on the forum involved them, and at that point ford had no choice but to stop them.

410Fortune

SLUSH Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
"Although you and your members may own the Ford automobile, you do not own the rights to the trade dress. Taking pictures of any Ford automobiles, placing them on products (i.e. calendar, mugs, t-shirts, etc.) and making them available to the public for sale is an infringement of Ford's intellectual property rights."

So the calander is free but a $10 shipping and donation to the forum would be nice?
I put Mercury badges on my explorer, can I sell pictures now?

Is my BII considered a Ford automobile if I chop the top off, have aftermarket body panels and run a Chevy engine?
If I draw a picture of my BII and sell it is that money yours too?
I can draw pretty damn good and make it look like a photograph, heck I might just have to do an entire calander!!

Trade Dress? Ford take your dress off

The word "intellectual" has no place in that LETTER IMO

FORD:
THEY PAID FOR THE CAR, IT BELONGS TO THEM
it's their hard work that gets them into a calander
You are losing more customers

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Exactly- when something was said and the Lawyers looked at it, it was over.

Like I said- cafepress would not print an order we placed featuring a picture of a lowly Chevy Aveo (who ironically was the original Snowball... ...to tease my buddy) They sent an email about copyrighted works, printed one shirt, then froze the design. Personal use only was the disclaimer...

leebo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mingo Junction, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
I kinda got a chuckle out of this when I saw this thread on their site. I guess one side has full use over a logo they created and built....but the other doesn't. :D

http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=20208

Props to them also on the new logo at the top....It's good to see a bit of humor going around. :D

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
LOL! That's pretty funny. :D

Exploderpilot

Reaction score
City, State
Nuevo, CA (where?)
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Titan SE
I'm gonna give away free flyers about this. And that will probably still be copyright infringement.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
JoeDirt, do you think the following would have legal issues if it was printed in marketed product? Not that I would, cauz its a disgusting picture ;). But half of the headlights are missing, no blue oval (grill removed), and so on.

410Fortune

SLUSH Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Oh man Not only Ford but craftsman, Fox, dana, Swamper, and Geo would be all over your butt for that one, maybe even Chevy and Lund if thats an old camaro tail and a bug shield. Who makes the spilled fluids? I see lawsuits on top of lawsuits!

Sell me a copy just so we can find out!

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Yarp I'm screwed!!! I'll be "living in my van, down by the river" -- oh wait, did I just steal that from Saturday Night Live? I better give some reference.

"living in my van, down by the river" from the character "Matt Foley" portrayed by Chris Farley, on NBC's show "Saturday Night Live".

Exploderpilot

Reaction score
City, State
Nuevo, CA (where?)
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Titan SE
IZ, your obvious lack of respect for fenders is violating my civil rights.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
IZ, your obvious lack of respect for fenders is violating my civil rights.
Hey you're using words and letters arent you? Those words... someone had to come up with them, their shapes, styles, and so on. Are YOU giving credit to that person? :shifty_ey

:p: The slope is so steep and slippery, I swear even the mountain goats cant hang on

^-- From Wikipedia (there, I gave reference!)

bp1506

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Well i am glad ford decided to approve the calendar. Maybe they looked at all the threads around the internet and realized it was creating quite a stir.

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Oh man Not only Ford but craftsman, Fox, dana, Swamper, and Geo would be all over your butt for that one, maybe even Chevy and Lund if thats an old camaro tail and a bug shield. Who makes the spilled fluids? I see lawsuits on top of lawsuits!

Sell me a copy just so we can find out!

Not to mention the Honda CR-V in the background and what looks like a F-150. But that may be safe and unrecognizable enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Well it started with chrysler a few years ago and snow balled from there.

One good thing I heard of the trade mark wars is from Warner Brothers. An Air force unit wanted to use the Tasmanian devil on there logo. They wrote Warner Bros asking permission to use the logo. They received permission to use any of the trade marked Warner Bros. No payment or anything required.

I don't totally agree with ford on the trade mark problems. The mustang people where only supporting there favorite vehicle. I wonder if the magazines have to pay $$$ everytime they feature a ford product.

Well Ford should be paying us for advertising there product. Every time people see the ford name it is free advertising.

Tim