Ford utility sales are growing while full size SUV deliveries are dropping. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford utility sales are growing while full size SUV deliveries are dropping.

“The death of utilities was premature; it just came back in a different form,” he says, noting today’s consumers aren’t interesting in the rugged, off-roading image of earlier SUVs. “Today the idea of a utility is in an urban setting. It’s quite different than the 1980s.”

Gag:thumbdwn:

What utilities? The low-riding Explorer is a rebadged Taurus wagon:
http://www.bankrate.com/financing/cars/pushing-the-new-ford-explorer-out-of-the-suv-closet/

The Escape is a tall Focus wagon. I don't know what the Edge is, maybe a Fusion hatchback.

The only true SUV is maybe the Expedition, and it is a dinosaur, too big an inefficient for most. My local Ford dealer says that he sells only about 20 expeditions per year.

Oh, how I wish that Ford would come up with something, anything that could compete against Jeep, any Jeep.

Let's see a trail-rated Explorer. Unibody is OK, but it needs more ground clearance and a low range gear. How hard would it be? Until then, I keep my 92 XLT.

Bob

“The death of utilities was premature; it just came back in a different form,” he says, noting today’s consumers aren’t interesting in the rugged, off-roading image of earlier SUVs. “Today the idea of a utility is in an urban setting. It’s quite different than the 1980s.”

Gag:thumbdwn:

What utilities? The low-riding Explorer is a rebadged Taurus wagon:
http://www.bankrate.com/financing/cars/pushing-the-new-ford-explorer-out-of-the-suv-closet/

The Escape is a tall Focus wagon. I don't know what the Edge is, maybe a Fusion hatchback.

The only true SUV is maybe the Expedition, and it is a dinosaur, too big an inefficient for most. My local Ford dealer says that he sells only about 20 expeditions per year.

Oh, how I wish that Ford would come up with something, anything that could compete against Jeep, any Jeep.

Let's see a trail-rated Explorer. Unibody is OK, but it needs more ground clearance and a low range gear. How hard would it be? Until then, I keep my 92 XLT.

Bob

I havnt heard about refrences like that but you basically put what i was thinking but didnt know how to say in words but this is for all new vehicles cheaply made yet expensive

I hear ya. What happened to a v8 explorer that could tow 7k pounds and still pull 18-19mpg on the highway. Hell that same truck with a ford 5.0l could pull so much more power and get into the 20s for mileage with ease.. I don't get it. Guys like us and not soccer mom's who still have kids would buy the crap out of that as would I if I could afford it!!

Back