Ford Windstar with dead transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Windstar with dead transmission

XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Wausau, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport SOHC 4X4
I am next to clueless when it comes to transmissions but was hoping to find any info i could on the what could be the problem. My Mom's 2000 ford windstar's transmission just seemed to die. She was driving on the highway and next thing you know speed is going down and the rpms shot up. No loud noise or anything else. It seems the tranny just seem to quit. Right now it does not move or make noises in any gear. I checked the fluid and it seems to be a dark brownish color which i imagine must not be good. I also checked for codes even though the cel is NOT on and pulled a p0741 which is a Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off. I have been searching, but every one who has this code seems to be able to drive there vehicle with it. I found Glacier991's thread on some helpful info but does anyone else have anything else to help me out???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The a4xn transmissions are nutorious for the planetary gear grenading. They are also nutorious for Valve body issues. It is one or the other. A great resource that I have used in the past has been the Taurus car club of America and Taurus Sable owners of America. Since this van shares the drivetrain with the Taurus/Sable I would check there forum out.

However you might luck out and find that the plastic o-ring for the filter broke

Thank you for the info ragajungle! I will have a look atleast at the o-ring. I am hoping for an easy fix but it never seems to work that way.

I have another 2000 WindStar transmission issue. My wife was coming home from work when the tranny died.. It was leaking Trans fluid from under the car and it wouldn't move (no big surprise).. Anyway after getting it towed home I let is sit a week and now can't seem to be able to shift it out of park into Neutral (very weird).. I put the key in the ignition and stepped on the brake and went under the dash and confirmed it appears the interlock is releasing correctly (it feels different when I don't step on the brake).

Anyway anyone have any ideas?

Make sure the towing company didnt mess with the linkage under the hood.

Back