Ford Wrecked My New Car Order | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Wrecked My New Car Order

jimbucks227

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had this happen to them yet? We ordered our new 2012 Ford Explorer Limited back in September and were told to expect a delivery time between 4-8 weeks. At the 4 week mark, we were told the car was finished.

As the weeks continued to pass without any update, we reached out to the dealership to find out what was going on. We were informed that the recent upgrade to the MyFord Touch system was causing shipping delays. When we reached the 8 week mark...and then the 10 week mark...without any additional updates...and knowing that the MyFord Touch upgrade had been released weeks ago, we decided to circumvent the Ford dealership and contact Ford Corporate directly.

Coincidentally (or not), the same day I contacted Ford Corporate, I received a call from the Ford dealership informing me that the car I had ordered was wrecked in an accident and there was, in fact, no car waiting for me at the Chicago assembly plant. If we wanted the same car we would have to replace the order and potentially wait another 4-8 weeks (or more likely 10 - 12 weeks).

Has anyone every had this happen to them? What should I do? I've already waited long enough. Shouldn't Ford make this right?

Thanks,
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it was indeed in an accident, what would you like them to do? Aside from a dealer lot Explorer someplace reasonably close to replace it with, they have no other options besides rebuild it on an order schedule, or take one from someone else and then they're in the same boat you currently are. They can't rearrange the line, as parts suppliers and parts racks are set up in order or production.

I suspect that if there was an accident, ford would reinstate you as a high priority order, and I recall somewhere on this thread a priority 10 getting their order turned around in very fast time (4 weeks?)

I also look at these delays as an opportunity to fix little issues too, so you might have a better vehicle at the end of the day. In fact - you could delay a few months and have a 2013 MY :)

If it was indeed in an accident, what would you like them to do? Aside from a dealer lot Explorer someplace reasonably close to replace it with, they have no other options besides rebuild it on an order schedule, or take one from someone else and then they're in the same boat you currently are. They can't rearrange the line, as parts suppliers and parts racks are set up in order or production.

I guess I would have expected Ford to recognize that the damaged car was tied to a special order and immediately start producing another one to address the special order. Ideally, there'd already be another car in process. Since I'm being told that's not the case, I would expect Ford to escalate the priority on the re-order.

Thanks,
Jim

I guess I would have expected Ford to recognize that the damaged car was tied to a special order and immediately start producing another one to address the special order. Ideally, there'd already be another car in process. Since I'm being told that's not the case, I would expect Ford to escalate the priority on the re-order.

Thanks,
Jim

Who damaged it? Your dealership or Ford?

Since the last activity was the day he posted that reply, I'd say neither. I doubt there ever was an order, Explorer, or accident.

Since the last activity was the day he posted that reply, I'd say neither. I doubt there ever was an order, Explorer, or accident.

So... it was really someone from the Acadia marketing team? :)

It's possible- every manufacturer has people online. ;)

It's possible- every manufacturer has people online. ;)

They have to do something to drive people to their overpriced vehicles. When they price their cars the same price @ 1/2 the features of the competition they need to do all they can to compete.

I don't work for GMC. In fact, we visited a GMC dealership after test driving the Ford and realized that the Ford was far superior. We didn't even need to test drive the Acadia to make that realization. The wrecked car (which was wrecked at the assembly plant and subsequently sent to auction) was re-ordered in December as a priority 1 and we finally received it in mid-January.

Despite the long wait, I have to praise Ford customer service. They really did a great job of handling the situation...and I definitely love my new Ford Explorer Limited.

I don't work for GMC. In fact, we visited a GMC dealership after test driving the Ford and realized that the Ford was far superior. We didn't even need to test drive the Acadia to make that realization. The wrecked car (which was wrecked at the assembly plant and subsequently sent to auction) was re-ordered in December as a priority 1 and we finally received it in mid-January.

Despite the long wait, I have to praise Ford customer service. They really did a great job of handling the situation...and I definitely love my new Ford Explorer Limited.

Good! :) Did you ever find out how they wrecked your original order?

Sorry it actually did apparently happen... :) But glad they got it resolved for you...

Are you having any of the other issues others are dealing with? MFT/A pillar/cooling fans/etc...?

Sorry it actually did apparently happen... :) But glad they got it resolved for you...

Are you having any of the other issues others are dealing with? MFT/A pillar/cooling fans/etc...?

Evidently I am not aware of these other issues. Right now I'd say no and I'd need to learn more about what's going on with others.

Looks like I'm in a similar situation. Looks like you had a positive outcome. What did customer service do for you in the end to make it good?

Back