Ford's new robots used on the 2011 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford's new robots used on the 2011 explorer?

Prosecutor

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 4WD XLT 202A
Can anyone confirm whether the new robots installed at the Chicago Assembly Plant (the ones that will do precise measuring for quality control) are in use for the 2011 Explorer? Everything I read so far seems to indicate that they will be used on the Explorers starting with the 2012s, but this Youtube video seems to show otherwise. At the very beginning (0:25), the narrator refers to the $100 million dollar investment in the robots, then shows some footage of what appears to be those robots in action (based on other videos I've seen, those do appear to be the new robots). The vehicle going through at that time is a 2011 Explorer.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I would be very happy to know that my soon-to-be-built 2011 Explorer will get the benefit of these new devices.

Cory, can you confirm whether the new robots are in use for the 2011 Explorer production?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As the owner of a 2011, I think you are being selfish! I truly have no idea on your question, but I got a laugh out of the post seeming to read "I hope my 2012 gets this benefit, but I was distraught to see a lowly 2011 seemingly built by my special 2012 robots!" :p

P.S. This is not the 2012 Explorer forum. ;)

As the owner of a 2011, I think you are being selfish! I truly have no idea on your question, but I got a laugh out of the post seeming to read "I hope my 2012 gets this benefit, but I was distraught to see a lowly 2011 seemingly built by my special 2012 robots!" :p

P.S. This is not the 2012 Explorer forum. ;)

Sorry if I was not clear. I am getting a 2011 Explorer, and was hoping my soon to be built 2011 Explorer would get the benefit of the new robots. They are still making 2011s, and will not begin making the 2012 until mid July.

Rereading my original post, I see how that wording is weird. I certainly want Ford to spread the love with all Explorers, not just the 2012 and onward. I was going to be jealous that my 2011 was not going to be as good as the 2012.

Nope, sorry. The 2011's are all handcrafted. No power tools, no robots, no computers. Each vehicle takes over 2 months to put together.

Everything is assembled by hand... except of course the A-pillar mouldings. Those are attached using a thermonuclear anti-gravitational vaccum press, then injected with a silicone-graphite compound allowing the A-piller to flutter in the wind - thus creating a sonic embellishment that is known to be soothing to the human brain.

The 2012's however, will be totally automated in their assembly. In fact, these new ponies will be each be "magnaprinted" using the new cutting edge technology called "live virus robotic internetics". One Explorer per minute is the goal. I personally think they'll be able to punch it up to 3 x's per minute.

But the game changer is really set for model year 2013. That's when they switch the line to accomodate the insane Liquidimaging Vehicle Production method, (LiVPm). Predicted volume is an astonishing 232 cars produced per minute.

Now THAT will be incredible and is definitely worth waiting for!

I believe the robots are strictly for wind noise testing.

Nope, sorry. The 2011's are all handcrafted. No power tools, no robots, no computers. Each vehicle takes over 2 months to put together.

Everything is assembled by hand... except of course the A-pillar mouldings. Those are attached using a thermonuclear anti-gravitational vaccum press, then injected with a silicone-graphite compound allowing the A-piller to flutter in the wind - thus creating a sonic embellishment that is known to be soothing to the human brain.

The 2012's however, will be totally automated in their assembly. In fact, these new ponies will be each be "magnaprinted" using the new cutting edge technology called "live virus robotic internetics". One Explorer per minute is the goal. I personally think they'll be able to punch it up to 3 x's per minute.

But the game changer is really set for model year 2013. That's when they switch the line to accomodate the insane Liquidimaging Vehicle Production method, (LiVPm). Predicted volume is an astonishing 232 cars produced per minute.

Now THAT will be incredible and is definitely worth waiting for!
win

Sorry if I was not clear. I am getting a 2011 Explorer, and was hoping my soon to be built 2011 Explorer would get the benefit of the new robots. They are still making 2011s, and will not begin making the 2012 until mid July.

Rereading my original post, I see how that wording is weird. I certainly want Ford to spread the love with all Explorers, not just the 2012 and onward. I was going to be jealous that my 2011 was not going to be as good as the 2012.

Just messing with you, no worries :)

I think it's the 2011+ forums from what a moderator posted.

See above.

I looked into this and found the new robots were in use, being calibrated, but were not fully utilized for the 2011MY build. We have also used them for building 12MY prototypes, which may be what was shown in the video. They will be fully functional 7/29, in time for 12MY launch.

Cory

Damn, and I was hoping my 2011 was going to be built by mutant-over-active-but-very-patriotic Illinois woodchucks. Nobody puts a car together like Illinois woodchucks. Their attention to detail is impeccable. I guess I'll have to live with disappointment...

:cool:

I looked into this and found the new robots were in use, being calibrated, but were not fully utilized for the 2011MY build. We have also used them for building 12MY prototypes, which may be what was shown in the video. They will be fully functional 7/29, in time for 12MY launch.

Thank you for looking into that and getting back with a clear answer.

Thank you for looking into that and getting back with a clear answer.
You’re welcome! I’m glad I could help! Let me know if you have any other questions you’d like me to look into for you!

Cory

Back