• Register Today It's free!

FORScan Programming issues

gw2002

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
I have a 2016 PIU and have successfully made a number of configuration changes with FORSCAN. I am struggling with these two, however:

AWD display - IPC 720-01-01:
I have tried multiple times to enable the AWD gauge display on my 2016 PIU. I have tried both options 4 and C. No change on the dash display.

Perimeter Alarm - BCM 726-01-02:
I have installed the required hood switch and have tried enabling this feature, but not successful at all - no change whatsoever in performance (I locked the doors with my remote and then manually opened the door from the inside. I also tried opening the hood - no alarm.)

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm referencing FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers
and the options are:
0=Disabled, 2=Enabled, 4=Enabled+Avg Speed Display, C=Enabled+Avg Speed Display+Avg RPM
I had tried 4 and C. I will try 2.

BTW the car alarm is working!!! You get a warning on the display saying, "Alarm activated. Start vehicle to turn off alarm." Then if you don't, you get the horn honk, etc.

I have a 2016 PIU and have successfully made a number of configuration changes with FORSCAN. I am struggling with these two, however:

AWD display - IPC 720-01-01:
I have tried multiple times to enable the AWD gauge display on my 2016 PIU. I have tried both options 4 and C. No change on the dash display.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure if I will be any help or not because I had some experience with the AWD display, but with a 2008 Explorer.

What I discovered was that you do not want to simply change the hex code to what others suggest. The actual codes that affect the AWD toggle on or off are in the binary information. It is possible that by changing one letter or number in hex that neighbouring information can get altered. Here's what I found out regarding the 720-01-01 address:

If you convert the hex code into binary, you will get a series of zeros and ones. If I convert the hex code

9505 7FFD
into binary, you will get the following:
10010101 00000101 01111111 11111101

Now, my hex and binary will be different from yours, but the positions for AWD may be the same. In my case, positions 19 and 20 of the binary control the AWD display. Positions 17 and 18 control TPMS.

If you change the 11 to 00 for positions 19 and 20:
10010101 00000101 01001111 11111101
you would get the hex
9505 5FFD

What you may need to do is
1) convert the AsBuilt hex data for your vehicle into binary
2) change positions 19 and 20 to 11
3) convert this back to hex
4) enter the resulting hex into Forscan and save the new code.

------

How did I discover this? I was trying to remove the TPMS warning from my 2008 Explorer and heard some one say to change the 5th digit of hex. When I did that, my AWD light wouldn't come on either, so that's how I knew that changing one digit can affect several positions in the binary.

I'm referencing FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers
and the options are:
0=Disabled, 2=Enabled, 4=Enabled+Avg Speed Display, C=Enabled+Avg Speed Display+Avg RPM
I had tried 4 and C. I will try 2.

BTW the car alarm is working!!! You get a warning on the display saying, "Alarm activated. Start vehicle to turn off alarm." Then if you don't, you get the horn honk, etc.
Yes, not all of the changes you find in the various spreadsheets will work in all vehicles.

I do not believe 4 and C from above work with the 2016+ PIU IPC. I tried them back in the day and they didn't seem to do anything on either of mine.

I'm not sure if I will be any help or not because I had some experience with the AWD display, but with a 2008 Explorer.

What I discovered was that you do not want to simply change the hex code to what others suggest. The actual codes that affect the AWD toggle on or off are in the binary information. It is possible that by changing one letter or number in hex that neighbouring information can get altered. Here's what I found out regarding the 720-01-01 address:

If you convert the hex code into binary, you will get a series of zeros and ones. If I convert the hex code

9505 7FFD
into binary, you will get the following:
10010101 00000101 01111111 11111101

Now, my hex and binary will be different from yours, but the positions for AWD may be the same. In my case, positions 19 and 20 of the binary control the AWD display. Positions 17 and 18 control TPMS.

If you change the 11 to 00 for positions 19 and 20:
10010101 00000101 01001111 11111101
you would get the hex
9505 5FFD

What you may need to do is
1) convert the AsBuilt hex data for your vehicle into binary
2) change positions 19 and 20 to 11
3) convert this back to hex
4) enter the resulting hex into Forscan and save the new code.

------

How did I discover this? I was trying to remove the TPMS warning from my 2008 Explorer and heard some one say to change the 5th digit of hex. When I did that, my AWD light wouldn't come on either, so that's how I knew that changing one digit can affect several positions in the binary.
Working with the binary is the best way to control what you are doing. Too many people prefer to take shortcuts with the hex and that seems to be the majority of stuff that is posted online and it can lead to unintended consequences for those that just "changed a bunch of letters and numbers to another bunch of letters and numbers".

Thanks KayGee, After reading so many posts where people are giving the Hex codes to do stuff, I was beginning to wonder if I really didn't know what I was doing with this. I'm still not sure, but at least now I know I'm more on track than I thought.

Back