• Register Today It's free!

FORSCAN - Rear Hatch double honk

EcoHell

Reaction score
City, State
Babylon, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
After purchasing EcoHell, I quickly purchased a license to use the Forscan program to disable the dreaded double honk feature. However, when shopping the other day, I opened the rear hatch first to load packages. Upon completion, I hit the button (on the rear hatch) to close the rear hatch and began walking the shopping cart to the "cart corral".

While walking the cart, EcoHell gave the dreaded double honk. After returning home, I plugged in Forscan to verify my code(s) were entered correctly. (if you read EcoHell's thread I just replaced my battery and installed a High Output Alternator). I was thinking that the Forscan codes I entered previously were wiped, but it was not the case.

Sooooo.. has anyone gotten rid of the dreaded "rear hatch door" double honk?

modify_inline.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just want to confirm that the vehicle running during this time. I don't believe anyone has posted about a similar issue.

Peter

Vehicle was not running. I shopped, approached vehicle to load supplies through rear hatch, closed said hatch and heard the dreaded two horn honk. Can someone with a stock (non Forscan modded) try this and see if you receive the honk? Much appreciated.

I don't have the Explorer anymore but I did open and close the liftgate on my 2017 Platinum numerous times and did not get the 'double honk'. I don't believe it happened on my 2011 Limited either.

Peter

I posted this issue in another Explorer forum as well. This was the final post I made in the other forums. Hopefully it could assist someone here. And Peter, I appreciate you responding back..

I would ask that this thread be deleted, but it may help someone else out.. I played the Stupid Game and won the Stupid Prize. The Forscan programming works as it should.

HOWEVER, if you leave your 2nd key inside the vehicle and open and close the rear hatch while your vehicle is locked, it will give you the dreaded two horn honk after it closes. In my original post, I had my backpack in my vehicle which had my 2nd key.

So yes, laugh at my expense..LOL.

Just completed the following..
Test 1) without key in vehicle - engine running, exit vehicle, lock doors. Open and close rear hatch.
Results: NO two horn honk.
Test 2) with 2nd key in vehicle - engine running, exit vehicle, lock doors. Open and close rear hatch.
Test 3) without key in vehicle - engine not running, exit vehicle, lock door. Open and close rear hatch.
And we all know Test 4, which is what I went through.

All four tests were conducted twice. Once where I locked the vehicle and did not wait for the interior lights to dim and then waiting for the interior lights to dim.

Lesson for the day: The Forscan programming to disable the two horn honk will give you the two horn honk for the rear hatch, ONLY if you have the 2nd key in the vehicle and the engine is NOT running.

So it seems that disabling the double honk works unless you open and close the liftgate with a 2nd key inside and the engine OFF. Does this also apply to the front doors? Honk disabled, engine shut OFF, exit vehicle with 2nd key left inside.

Peter

So it seems that disabling the double honk works unless you open and close the liftgate with a 2nd key inside and the engine OFF. Does this also apply to the front doors? Honk disabled, engine shut OFF, exit vehicle with 2nd key left inside.

Peter
It does not occur with the doors, just the liftgate.

Ecohell, you're vindicated.

I did the exact same thing today. My wife and I went grocery shopping after supper last night. As we exited the vehicle she decided to leave her purse in the car with her key in it. We closed our respective doors and walked to the rear of the vehicle. I opened the lift-gate to grab a few shopping bags and then demonstrated the lock button on the lift-gate to her for future use. As we stood there and the lift-gate closed we heard the "Double Honk" and the doors did not lock. I commented something like wow, that forscan double honk update I performed the other day must have a issue with the tail-gate lock button. Then I recalled reading your earlier thread (post #1) and thought to myself I have to look at that again to see what the remedy is. Seems the remedy is to remove both keys from the vehicle and that's pretty simple.
My lesson for the day - cut the Explorer programming some slack - it may just know what's it's doing.

NOTE: my vehicle is a 2021 Platinum build date early September 2021

I don't know if the 6th gen is the same as the 5th gen in this situation but the only way to lock a key inside the 5th gen is to lock the vehicle with another fob or by using the Securicode keypad.

Peter

I don't know if the 6th gen is the same as the 5th gen in this situation but the only way to lock a key inside the 5th gen is to lock the vehicle with another fob or by using the Securicode keypad.

Peter
On my 6th gen I was able to lock it with the other key in the vehicle by pressing the top of the door handle (lock symbol).

I haven't tried it at all with my Aviator. It doesn't have the door handle lock. The lock is part of the Securicode pad.

Peter

Mine does it W/O 2nd key in the same zip code, i just wait till the gate is down then lock it.

Ecohell, you're vindicated.

I did the exact same thing today. My wife and I went grocery shopping after supper last night. As we exited the vehicle she decided to leave her purse in the car with her key in it. We closed our respective doors and walked to the rear of the vehicle. I opened the lift-gate to grab a few shopping bags and then demonstrated the lock button on the lift-gate to her for future use. As we stood there and the lift-gate closed we heard the "Double Honk" and the doors did not lock. I commented something like wow, that forscan double honk update I performed the other day must have a issue with the tail-gate lock button. Then I recalled reading your earlier thread (post #1) and thought to myself I have to look at that again to see what the remedy is. Seems the remedy is to remove both keys from the vehicle and that's pretty simple.
My lesson for the day - cut the Explorer programming some slack - it may just know what's it's doing.

NOTE: my vehicle is a 2021 Platinum build date early September 2021
Hey Pedro... sorry I haven't been here in a while. I am glad this post actually helped someone.. LOL!!

Back