• Register Today It's free!

Fortifying a 1994 4.0L A4LD

1QUICK23

Reaction score
City, State
salem
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Tbird Turbo Coupe
Looking at buying an 88 turbo coupe thunderbird automatic. I know this is an explorer/ranger forum but since they share the same model trans up to 94 and there seems to be alot of good trans tech advice on here i joined to get some help.

I know the stock 4cyl A4LD in the 87-88 TCs is a big weak point. Im looking to buy a 94 4.0 trans with 89k and doing all the upgrades i can short of rebuilding it, that will come later. For now i just want it reliable for 14-18lbs of boost.

Here is my list so far..

• Hughes custom torque converter
• 1994 4.0 A4LD 89K
• Cryo input
• Superior kit
• Trans cooler
• 13qt Amalie Dex/Merc
• LubeLocker A4LD pan gasket
• Motorcraft filter mt-58
• Timken input seal
• Timken output seal
• Upper and lower seperator plate gaskets

Im unsure which servos to run. Otherwise am i missing anything or should i go with different parts? Does baumann still calibrate a4ld valve bodies?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not familiar with Baumann so I am no help here.

I am also not best when it comes to interchangeability with what transmission fits what engines and vehicles because we build the transmission that come out of the vehicle. The 1st issue I see is that the 4.0 bellhousing may fit on the 4cyl engine so do research on that before you start your project. If they are different you would have to swap the 4cyl pump into the 4.0 which sounds easy enough but the 4cyl pump may not work with the coast clutch drum in the 4.0, so you might be running into issues like this and a few more.

the 4.0 A4LD bellhousing will not fit your turbo coupe 2.3L engine

12-18 lb of boost will tear up a non built a4ld in short order

Baumman is now US shift

To prep a a4ld for this kind of power (assuming you can get past the bellhousing issue) you would want to upgrade the internals to the newer style 4r44/5r55e guts...... there are some trans guys out there that can pull this off, the old a4ld's need upgrades to handle any sort of real power

Not familiar with Baumann so I am no help here.

I am also not best when it comes to interchangeability with what transmission fits what engines and vehicles because we build the transmission that come out of the vehicle. The 1st issue I see is that the 4.0 bellhousing may fit on the 4cyl engine so do research on that before you start your project. If they are different you would have to swap the 4cyl pump into the 4.0 which sounds easy enough but the 4cyl pump may not work with the coast clutch drum in the 4.0, so you might be running into issues like this and a few more.

Ok, i was aware id have to swap bellhousings but wasn't aware there could be an issue with the pump, I will look into that. My father is a retired Ford tech and i also know a Ford transmission tech. Between the 3 of us im hoping we could swap the bell correctly if it is actually swappable.

Baumman is now US shift

To prep a a4ld for this kind of power (assuming you can get past the bellhousing issue) you would want to upgrade the internals to the newer style 4r44/5r55e guts...... there are some trans guys out there that can pull this off, the old a4ld's need upgrades to handle any sort of real power

That's what I thought, the guts of the 4R/5R55E are better than the A4LD.

I'd spend some time on the Sonnax website and dig around for what they have for the A4LD, they do VB's now too.

I have a good friend who has owned a few Turbo Coupes. We parted out two of them about 20 years ago. I don't recall what spare trans parts he kept, the engines are gone I know for sure.

Baumman is now US shift

What makes the 4r44/5r55 so much better than the 4.0 a4ld? I see they use 1 clutch less everywhere and the Frankenstein thread i viewed didnt show any major differences between the two besides the od drum but that only holds 2 clutches vs 3 of the 4.0 a4ld. Unless I missed something.

I find it weird that a 4.0 a4ld explorer has a max gcwr of 9000lbs with 3.73s and 220 ft/lbs of tq but the same 4.0 a4ld behind a 2.3 turbo making 190/280tq 3.73s and weighing 3600lb with driver wouldn't last? Even with substantially more line pressure, bigger int. & od pistons and lighter springs?

The real issue is that the A4LD is a light duty trans, designed for the light 4cylinder cars like the Thunderbird. Then Ford decided to stick it in the 4500lbs Explorer, and see what happens. There are not many things possible to upgrade, and Ford didn't improve them over the short time they made them. The internal hard parts are just a little smaller than the next trans larger, the AOD etc.

Concentrate on the best VB upgrades, all new other parts like servo's, and Sonnax update parts. I also installed a longer modulator pin in my 91, and 93 models. I believe it was 1/8" longer, it helped slightly with shifting, and I also put in a TransGo kit in each truck. I still have the 93 trans, 112,600 miles or so(I have the instrument cluster too).

Back