forward automatic emergency braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

forward automatic emergency braking

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So i have the car set up forward collision avoidance emergency braking. However, every time the collision warning has gone off, i dont feel any added braking is being applied. This is in stark contrast to when I'm backing up and receive a sudden jolt from the emergency braking. What are your experiences with the forward collision avoidance braking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Forward Collision Warning is just that. A warning/alert. In the 5th gen it when the warning/alert activated it also pre-charged the bakes in case you had to use them. I don't know if the 6th gen does that or not. You may be confusing that system with the Pre-Collision Assist System (page 265) which will Alert, provide brake support and provide active braking if required.

Peter

Whatever you want to call it, I am asking if it is normal to get a collision alert but no brake assist, even though it is set for it in settings.

As mentioned, the Forward Collision Warning (page 65) is just a warning. No braking. Emergency Brake Assist is a separate item (page 206).

Peter

Whatever you want to call it, I am asking if it is normal to get a collision alert but no brake assist, even though it is set for it in settings.

Yes, in drive I only get the warning and no braking. In reverse I get hard-braking.

So I thought the 2020 had automatic front braking but after googling and reading, it does not. All it does is the same as the 5th gen, precharges the brakes to help reduce braking distance in the event of an emergency (like Peter stated). Big Fail in my opinion with Ford.

Based upon pages 266 and 267 of the owner's manual and this link: https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/pre-collision-assist/, the ST has a 3 tiered system: alert, brake support and active braking. The system makes a calculation on the likelihood of a crash and how the driver is responding. According to Ford, if a crash is imminent, brakes can apply automatically. I've experienced the alert, but never active braking. A crash wasn't close to happening, and I assume that's why I didn't experience active braking. The only time I have experienced automatic braking was while traveling down an interstate with the active cruise control on, and a vehicle moved closely in front of me. The brakes applied until the cruise control gap was reestablished. I didn't get the alert in that situation.

I think the confusion here is about terminology. Forward Collision Warning is not the same as Pre-Collision Assist. The former is a warning, the latter, will, if necessary, apply the brakes. The initial post appears to roll both into one.

Peter

After reading the manual, it looks like the 2020 Explorer does all of these things. Below is what the manual states. The first applies to reverse, the second to drive. I've only ever experienced the "Alert" in drive, though I've never been close to an actual impact.

Reverse braking assist: If the system determines that a collision with an obstacle may occur, full braking may apply. Bring your vehicle to a stop a safe distance away from the obstacle.

Pre-Collision Assist System: The system is active at speeds above approximately 3 mph (5 km/h) and pedestrian detection is active at speeds up to 50 mph (80 km/h).

If your vehicle is rapidly approaching another stationary vehicle, a vehicle traveling in the same direction as yours, or a pedestrian within your driving path, the system is designed to provide three levels of functionality:

1. Alert

2. Brake Support

3. Active Braking

Alert: When active, a flashing visual warning appears and an audible warning tone sounds.

Brake Support: The system is designed to help reduce the impact speed by preparing the brakes for rapid braking. Brake support does not automatically apply the brakes. If you press the brake pedal, the system could apply additional braking up to maximum braking force, even if you lightly press the brake pedal.

Active Braking: Active braking may activate if the system determines that a collision is imminent. The system may help the driver reduce impact damage or avoid the crash completely.

The Owner's Manual is a great source for info. If only more would read it. ;) ( just a general observation, not meant for anyone in particular) :)

Peter

Yah, Since I'm Corona'd In, nows a great time to re-Read the Owners Manual.

I noticed the Ford Expedition has a recall for non-functional emergency brake assist. Since no one seems to have experienced this in action on our cars, I wonder if we are next.

Although I haven't done it, my salesman said that one way to test the automatic braking is by activating the cruise control and setting the distance at its furthest point from the vehicle ahead and then see how your vehicle slows down to a stop.

Peter

Although I haven't done it, my salesman said that one way to test the automatic braking is by activating the cruise control and setting the distance at its furthest point from the vehicle ahead and then see how your vehicle slows down to a stop.

Peter

I am not sure that is the same thing. If you look at the Expedition recall, no mention is made about adaptive cruise control being faulty. The systems are all there, it seems that the programming for pre-collision assist is not. I still find it odd no one has experienced the braking assist in a near collision situation. Believe me, I've tried on cars ahead that are turning the corner. No braking...

Believe me, I've tried on cars ahead that are turning the corner. No braking...
That is just the collision warning system. When that is activated, the brakes are precharged. I'm sure if it got to the point of a collision, the baking would kick in. I've had that same warning multiple times in the aviator and the 2017 when vehicles ahead are turning.

Peter

I've gotten pretty darn close that if the cars ahead weren't turning, I would have hit them. I doubt that it's working and am waiting for the Expedition-like recall.

There are 3 levels of braking as per page 265. Looks like your Explorer didn't figure you were going to crash. I think in a case where a vehicle ahead is turning, you get level #2. I hope to never have to get beyond that.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I picked up my ST from the dealer, it was in their delivery area, and it was easier to just back it out if the building. I was backing out of a single-bay door, and there was a car parked outside of the building that was close, but I had plenty of room. At one point the car completely slammed on the brakes, and scared the hell out of me.

First thing I did when I got home was turned off all automatic braking features.

Back