Forward Sensing System Alert

Biminigirl

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT
image.jpg
Hello,

This morning I got this front collision indicator when I was stopped at a traffic light, many feet away from the car in front of me. When the light turned green and the car in front of me moved, my car was alarming increasing loudly at me of a front collision. There was nothing in front of me, finally I drove forward and it stopped.

Anyone ever hear of this false indicator? Photo attached.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View attachment 90238Hello,

This morning I got this front collision indicator when I was stopped at a traffic light, many feet away from the car in front of me. When the light turned green and the car in front of me moved, my car was alarming increasing loudly at me of a front collision. There was nothing in front of me, finally I drove forward and it stopped.

Anyone ever hear of this false indicator? Photo attached.
Are you sure it isn't the park assist alarm that you're hearing? Not familiar with the 2016 system but there is a thread on the Park Assist issue; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438008&highlight=park+assist+alarm

Peter

It might be. It was indicating that I was about to hit something with my front end. It has alarmed before when I was in a parking garage pulling into a spot with a concrete wall in front of me. But this time, there was nothing in front of me and it got to a constant beep with the front end light up in red. And even outlined the whole shaped of the truck in red.

Yes, I've had it go off while next to a car. Once I got away from that particular car it stopped and came back when I got closer. Unfortunately, I didn't really think too much of it and I don't remember what kind of car it was but it has never happened since. S

Time for a "power cycle" by disconnecting the negative battery cable.
The warning at that distance should have been a yellow warning and not full red.

It could be at the other car was using ACC as well because that is another Ford vehicle. Maybe they both interfered with each other? I think ultrasound sensors don't have any channels so they probably output the same signal to read from.

Interesting...I considered something like that. It looked like it was a 2016 or 2017 Ford Edge.

I would think that they would have to have been in reverse at the time for their rear sensors to be active.

I would think that they would have to have been in reverse at the time for their rear sensors to be active.

Unless a malfunction, the reverse parking shouldn't turn on as you stated.
Too much tech in new vehicles and is always one of my concerns.

Unless a malfunction, the reverse parking shouldn't turn on as you stated.
Too much tech in new vehicles and is always one of my concerns.

Yeah its the tech. I read a few BMW X5 forum posts were the car starts to brake on a highway by itself and no one is in front of it. She was just happy that she did not cause an accident.

A couple of times my collision warning has gone off by a vehicle turning off of the interstate. It was traveling away from me and I was not even close.

Another time the proximity sensors on the left (passenger) side went into yellow alarm while I was stopped at a stop light. There was a Mercedes SUV in that lane, but we were both in the middle of our lanes. The alarm continued until the light went green and I left the Mercedes behind.

These vehicles are too smart for their own good.

Can't you turn that ridiculousness off? It does nobody any good.

Can't you turn that ridiculousness off? It does nobody any good.
In scanning quickly through the 2016 Manual it doesn't seem that Pre-Collision Alert can be disabled. Sensitivity settings are High, Normal and Low.

Peter

I had a similar issue while driving on the interstate. The alarm was going off as cars were passing me. It only happened a couple of times. Talked to the dealership about it and they said it could have been bug splatter on the sensors. Not really believing that, but it hasn't happened for about 2 months.

This happened to me the other day and I was also behind a Ford Edge. I was trying to figure it out while stuck in traffic and I think I figured it out:

They have a reflective strip along the bumper which sits right about in line with our parking sensors. So I think the sensor is hitting the reflector and getting an indication back that it is closer than it actually is.

I came to this conclusion because when the Edge would get to a bump or slope before me, the Edge would be at a different angle and the notice would go away. When we got back to flat ground it would come back.

I had this happen to me when I was behind a 2016 MKZ in traffic. I'm thinking it's somehow related to interference from the Edge you're behind in this photo.

http://www.newelectronics.co.uk/ele...ultrasonic-sensors-for-vehicle-parking/24966/

I'd bet 100 bucks it's co-channel interference from a vehicle. Reflectiveness does not matter when it comes to ultrasound sensors because the distance is what causes the ultrasound to change.

On the other hand, if the Edge indeed throws ultrasound through the back, the ultrasound only went halfway which is from the Edge to the Explorer, meaning that the Explorer is tricked into thinking it's twice as close due to the Edge's ultrasound.

I can throw an experiment together with an ultra sound sensor and see if that works.

http://www.newelectronics.co.uk/ele...ultrasonic-sensors-for-vehicle-parking/24966/

I'd bet 100 bucks it's co-channel interference from a vehicle. Reflectiveness does not matter when it comes to ultrasound sensors because the distance is what causes the ultrasound to change.

On the other hand, if the Edge indeed throws ultrasound through the back, the ultrasound only went halfway which is from the Edge to the Explorer, meaning that the Explorer is tricked into thinking it's twice as close due to the Edge's ultrasound.

I can throw an experiment together with an ultra sound sensor and see if that works.
If this is the case, why would the rear sensors of the Edge even be active if the vehicle isn't in 'Reverse'? I know on my 2011 Limited, they only functioned when the vehicle was in 'Reverse gear.
From the Manual;

REAR PARKING AID
The rear sensors are only active when the
transmission is in reverse (R).

Peter

If this is the case, why would the rear sensors of the Edge even be active if the vehicle isn't in 'Reverse'? I know on my 2011 Limited, they only functioned when the vehicle was in 'Reverse gear.
From the Manual;

REAR PARKING AID
The rear sensors are only active when the
transmission is in reverse (R).

Peter

Could be the two sensors on the left and right side for BLISS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We're on vacation in Florida this week. For the first time in over a month of owning our 2017 Explorer the sensors have false alerted three different times. All three times there was another Ford vehicle in the immediate vicinity. Told my wife I would look it up tonight and your idea makes a ton of sense. After realizing there was always a (newer) Ford vehicle around we had kind of come to the same conclusion, but it's nice to know we're not crazy. :)

(And I should clarify. Once it went off as if we were parking and were too close to the vehicle in front of us (although we were nowhere near it. The other two times the sensor screen went crazy and showed sensors on both the front and the back of the vehicle going off. Both of these times the other Ford was behind us.)

Back