• Register Today It's free!

Foul odor (not exhaust related)

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I've recently started getting an odor inside that I can only describe as week old garbage. I can't seem to narrow it down to a specific spot in the interior, and I can't seem to get rid of it.

So far, I have:

1. Checked under all seats, and in the spare tire well for anything that could be causing it
  2. Cleaned all leather and vinyl surfaces, and applied Febreeze to every possible inch of carpet, twice.
  3. Vacuumed and blasted the carpet with steam (not a carpet cleaning, just a generous application of steam, to kill any bacteria)
  4. Removed and cleaned, with bleach, the floor mats and cargo mat.
  5. Blasted the HVAC vents with steam.
I only put groceries in the cargo area, on the cargo mat (the OEM rubber one), so any spillage should be back there.

A friend suggested the possibility of a dead critter somewhere, but it doesn't smell like that, it smells like a garbage can.

I'm sure exactly how long ago it started, but it's been a month now, at least. I didn't think it was getting worse, but now I'm not sure that's, because while cleaning it for the second time yesterday, I kept getting a whiff of the odor.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to remove the interior a piece at a time to find it. That or it's time for another trade in!

Check your air filter (behind glove box) Critters can create a nest in there.

Only thing I can think of.

check to see if gear oil is leaking out of the PTU onto the exhaust...have experienced that. Not exactly garbage smell, but an unpleasant propane burning smell.

Back