Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC

See my post above. We figured out what this was!

All TSB with ODOR in it:

TSB
13-9-18 3.5L TI-VCT - FOUL ODOR FROM COOLING SYSTEM - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/9/2012

Publication Date: September 20, 2013

FORD: 2012-2013 Explorer

The article supersedes TSB 12-8-8 to update Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2012-2013 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT) engine and built on or before 7/9/2012 may exhibit a foul, rotten-egg type odor coming from the cooling system or components, typically after coming to a stop with the climate control recirculation door in the fresh air mode.

TSB 15-0096 2.0L ECOBOOST - FUEL ODOR
Publication Date: June 10, 2015

FORD: 2013-2014 Edge
2013-2015 Escape, Explorer, Focus, Fusion

LINCOLN: 2013-2015 MKZ
2015 MKC

ISSUE:
Some 2013-2015 Escape, Fusion, Explorer, MKZ, Focus ST and 2013-2014 Edge and 2015 MKC vehicles equipped with 2.0L EcoBoost engines may exhibit fuel odor originating from the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose.

SSM 45053 - 2007-2015 Various Vehicles Equipped With All Wheel Drive - Propane, Or Natural Gas Odor During Idle Or Low Speed Driving
Some 2013-2015 MKZ vehicles equipped with a 3.7L, 2007-2014 Edge, 2007-2015 MKX, 2011-2015 Explorer, 2009-2015 Flex, 2010-2015 MKT, 2008-2015 Taurus, 2008-2009Taurus X, 2009-2015 MKS, 2007-2012 Fusion/MKZ, and 2007-2011 Milan vehicles equipped with a PTU may exhibit a propane, or natural gas odor from the HVAC systemafter driving the vehicle for 20-45 minutes. This odor, if present, is most noticeable while idling or during low speed driving. Inspect the PTU for fluid leaks and repair any leaks per Workshop Manual Section 308-07B. If odor is still present after the leak repair and cleaning, replace the PTU and vent hose, if equipped. For vehicles with no leaks and odor present, replace the PTU along with thePTU vent hose, if equipped. Refer to Section 7 of the SLTS manual for the appropriate labor operations.

TSB 14-0130 EXHAUST ODOR IN VEHICLE
Publication Date: July 22, 2014

FORD: 2011-2015 Explorer

This article supersedes TSB 12-12-4 to update the vehicle model years and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2015 Explorer vehicles may exhibit an exhaust odor in the vehicle with the auxiliary climate control system on. Customers may indicate the odor smells like sulfur.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Looking into that now.

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4Dr

2016 Explorer - Meldew smell from vents?

Has anyone come across this issue? I have started messing around with it and the foul meldew/BO smell comes through the vents when A/C is on (recirc or fresh air) from 67 degrees up. 66 degree to Lo it isn't there. I've notice as soon as you start applying heat is is very strong. If the heater is on forget about it! It is insanely strong with heater on. Went to Ford yesterday finally and all they did was pour the Motorcraft Cooling coil liquid thru the outside vents, didn't do a thing. I only have 2000miles on it. Looks like the the water is draining fine when i get out i can see the dump tube draining a good amount of water. Service advisor said if it doesn't go away i will have to take it back and they will have to pull the dash which i said F*K no because it's BRAND NEW and it will never be the same after that. I've pulled dashed before and it never lines up the same after. I am picky as hell too. Anyone have and suggestions?

Has anyone come across this issue? I have started messing around with it and the foul meldew/BO smell comes through the vents when A/C is on (recirc or fresh air) from 67 degrees up. 66 degree to Lo it isn't there. I've notice as soon as you start applying heat is is very strong. If the heater is on forget about it! It is insanely strong with heater on. Went to Ford yesterday finally and all they did was pour the Motorcraft Cooling coil liquid thru the outside vents, didn't do a thing. I only have 2000miles on it. Looks like the the water is draining fine when i get out i can see the dump tube draining a good amount of water. Service advisor said if it doesn't go away i will have to take it back and they will have to pull the dash which i said F*K no because it's BRAND NEW and it will never be the same after that. I've pulled dashed before and it never lines up the same after. I am picky as hell too. Anyone have and suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Using the Forum's 'Search' function, I found this thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

Rick, I have the same exact issue with my current 2014 Ford Explorer...

Has anyone come across this issue? I have started messing around with it and the foul meldew/BO smell comes through the vents when A/C is on (recirc or fresh air) from 67 degrees up...
Welcome to the community, RSmail and wmorales43! :D

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll look into the available options to assist!

Tricia

Thanks for the welcome. Haven't been on any forums in a few years. The TSB refers to 2012's, My Exp is a 2016 XLT with about 2k miles on it. The odor isn't exhaust gas, actually almost identical to BO. Smells kind of moldy.

Jason, do you know where this part came from and when it was published?

"SSM 45053 - 2007-2015 Various Vehicles Equipped With All Wheel Drive - Propane, Or Natural Gas Odor During Idle Or Low Speed Driving
Some 2013-2015 MKZ vehicles equipped with a 3.7L, 2007-2014 Edge, 2007-2015 MKX, 2011-2015 Explorer, 2009-2015 Flex, 2010-2015 MKT, 2008-2015 Taurus, 2008-2009Taurus X, 2009-2015 MKS, 2007-2012 Fusion/MKZ, and 2007-2011 Milan vehicles equipped with a PTU may exhibit a propane, or natural gas odor from the HVAC systemafter driving the vehicle for 20-45 minutes. This odor, if present, is most noticeable while idling or during low speed driving. Inspect the PTU for fluid leaks and repair any leaks per Workshop Manual Section 308-07B. If odor is still present after the leak repair and cleaning, replace the PTU and vent hose, if equipped. For vehicles with no leaks and odor present, replace the PTU along with thePTU vent hose, if equipped. Refer to Section 7 of the SLTS manual for the appropriate labor operations.
"

All TSB with ODOR in it:

TSB
13-9-18 3.5L TI-VCT - FOUL ODOR FROM COOLING SYSTEM - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/9/2012

Publication Date: September 20, 2013

FORD: 2012-2013 Explorer

The article supersedes TSB 12-8-8 to update Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2012-2013 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT) engine and built on or before 7/9/2012 may exhibit a foul, rotten-egg type odor coming from the cooling system or components, typically after coming to a stop with the climate control recirculation door in the fresh air mode.

TSB 15-0096 2.0L ECOBOOST - FUEL ODOR
Publication Date: June 10, 2015

FORD: 2013-2014 Edge
2013-2015 Escape, Explorer, Focus, Fusion

LINCOLN: 2013-2015 MKZ
2015 MKC

ISSUE:
Some 2013-2015 Escape, Fusion, Explorer, MKZ, Focus ST and 2013-2014 Edge and 2015 MKC vehicles equipped with 2.0L EcoBoost engines may exhibit fuel odor originating from the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose.

SSM 45053 - 2007-2015 Various Vehicles Equipped With All Wheel Drive - Propane, Or Natural Gas Odor During Idle Or Low Speed Driving

TSB 14-0130 EXHAUST ODOR IN VEHICLE
Publication Date: July 22, 2014

FORD: 2011-2015 Explorer

This article supersedes TSB 12-12-4 to update the vehicle model years and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2015 Explorer vehicles may exhibit an exhaust odor in the vehicle with the auxiliary climate control system on. Customers may indicate the odor smells like sulfur.

"SSM 45053 - 2007-2015 Various Vehicles Equipped With All Wheel Drive - Propane, Or Natural Gas Odor During Idle Or Low Speed Driving
"

It comes from Ford and there is no publish date listed.

Man i am seriously starting to get insainly bummed out. I've just read ALL thread and can't beleive there isn't a resolution yet. First time I took it in the Ford cooling coil liquid was poured through my vents, didn't fix it. Second time i went in I duplicated the issue, they had it from 7am to 4:30pm and when i picked it up they told me they couldn't duplicate it and all they could smell was my air freshener. The told me they will most likey have to pull the dash to figure it out which i said NO because its a 2016 Ex with now just over 3k on it. The smell is bad at times and sometimes not present. Anytime i hit the autostart and the air comes on it is present. This morning i hit the autostart and it smelt almost exactly like a heavy exhasut smell and made me start coughing. If i put the heater on, it's there all the time. Ford is now telling me it is most likely coming from inside the Ex and they want to try using a machine they leave in the Ex running for 4 hrs with the windows up and air on. They said it should get rid of the issue and is used for cars with heavy smokers or people who leave sports equipment in the cars!! Are you freakin kidding me!!! It isn't present unless the air is on. The other day it was hot and as soon as i opened the car I faintly smelt it. Smelled near the vents and you can immediately smell it. As long as the A/C is very low it isn't present fresh or recirc. Just an update, going to be getting a second opinion at another dealer soon. It's just almost impossible to get the time to drop it off with my work schedule. Will keep every updated as to what happened with mine. I am trying not to go after the TSB above because my Ex is a 2016, maybe it carried over. Who knows, but this can't continue. All leather by the way.

My smell is getting worse. Anyone have new info?

Every vehicle I've owed with AC will have some smell at start up, but to reduce when I know I will be parked for longer than a run into the store or such is take off of recirculate a few blocks (give or take) and allow fresh air (and in AZ it's DRY air) to run thru the system and help to dry it out and reduce the chance for the "funk" to build.

Every vehicle I've owed with AC will have some smell at start up, but to reduce when I know I will be parked for longer than a run into the store or such is take off of recirculate a few blocks (give or take) and allow fresh air (and in AZ it's DRY air) to run thru the system and help to dry it out and reduce the chance for the "funk" to build.

I can't say I've ever experienced this. From my first beater car and all the others in between. Seems like a common issue just like the hood paint bubbles and the minor issue of power steering failing during driving. Ford, when you find your QC call me. I'll be back. Until then....

I have been having this piss smell for a while on my 2014 Ex. On a fresh startup as soon as i blast the ac on it smells for about 20 sec and goes away. Tired of it and its a shameful specially when friends and family ride with you.
Any solution yet?

I have been having this piss smell for a while on my 2014 Ex. On a fresh startup as soon as i blast the ac on it smells for about 20 sec and goes away. Tired of it and its a shameful specially when friends and family ride with you.
Any solution yet?
Change cabin filter.

Cabin Filter has nothing to do with it i have changed mine twice and i still get the same smell
It comes and goes but i am use to it now
I think in pass post i read something that ford took apart and EX and they found nothing in the system oh well
Its a shame when u spend tbis kind of money on a SUV u have to tell your passangers that its not a Fart lol

Have the smell with my A/C as well. Only really noticeable for the first 10-15 seconds then it goes away. Dealer ran Fridgifresh through the car and it did nothing. I've noticed that the issue may be related to the system retaining some moisture after the car is turned off rather than draining it. I came to this conclusion because when i start the car I have noticed that there is a fresh puddle of water under the car where there was previously nothing. This would also further explain why the smell goes away after 10-15 seconds (the water has drained out). Anyone that has this problem should look under the car before starting and after starting. You will notice a fresh pile of water. Seems like a design issue with the condensation drainage and i doubt that there will ever be a true fix without some serious overhauling of that component.

This has occurred in other cars that I've owned, most recently a Highlander. It helps to turn off the AC before you park and let the regular air dry out the pipes. I found that you can reduce or get rid of the smell if you spray Lysol into the intake and let the fan run the Lysol through the pipes - kills the smelly bacteria - but it doesn't prevent it from coming back. Just do this periodically and should help keep the smell in check.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi wardy,

Welcome to the forum! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. How many miles are on your Explorer? I want to see what I can do to help.

Crystal

I have the same problem, the dealership said there was the TSB issue and after I paid $1,300 to get everything replaced including the cabin air filter it still happens. In fact just drove it to work and it smelled again. Seriously thinking about putting the vehicle up for sale and tell the dealership to go stick it in their ear. Their service used to be good, main reason why I bought the new Explorer with them, they have gone down hill fast. Is there a Ford recall on this??? IS there any warranty that I can get any of my money back. I mean I spent $1,300 for nothing, same problem.

Back