Found 2 crankshaft bearings in my oil pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found 2 crankshaft bearings in my oil pan

CdnBlueStreak

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB - Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer Sport
Hi all,

My oil pan gasket was leaking, so picked up a new gasket and some paint to change it out, and respray the oil pan.

When I removed it, I saw two thin pieces of metal at the bottom. I knew immediately they were bearings, then later confirmed they were crankshaft bearings after asking some friends.

Question is, should I be worried?

The vehicle is an 02 Explorer Sport with 181,000 kms (113,000 miles) with the 4.0L SOHC V6 and the engine runs fine. I am unsure as to when it happened. No noises, no rattling or ticking, no burning oil, no poor gas mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you sure?

That sounds unreasonable to me unless someone just left them there after replacement. The bearings can spin on the journals but I doubt they can slip out.

Here's what a main bearing looks like.
BCap1.jpg

If you have the SOHC V6 could they be leaf springs from your primary chain tensioner?

The engine wouldn't be running if your crankshaft bearings were laying in your oil pan.
My vote goes to the timing chain tensioner failing. Pretty common in the SOHC.

That sounds unreasonable to me unless someone just left them there after replacement. The bearings can spin on the journals but I doubt they can slip out.

Here's what a main bearing looks like.
View attachment 60307

If you have the SOHC V6 could they be leaf springs from your primary chain tensioner?

here's a newb question?, Isn't the journal the part of the crank that sits on the bearing? the crank is always spinning with the engine running. If the bearing spins in the engine block, won't there be lubrication problems with the crankshaft? Could Cdn remove the bearing caps to check out the condition of the main bearings without removing the crank or replacing the bearings?

Well, I've done several major road trips recently, and she ran fine. When I get a second, I'll take a pic and post it up here.

Never heard of the leaf spring timing chain tensioner whatchamacallit... they still look like crankshaft bearings to me...

My only guess is that, since I'm not the 1st owner of the Explorer...

1. Had engine work done previously, they fell in the oil pan, and have been there ever since. Prevous owner or mechanics didn't bother to retrieve it.

2. They fell in the pan recently.

3. They fell in the pan a long time ago, and the engine is so Ford tough it's been running w/o bearings.. lol

I don't know really. The engine is fine, and is rather quiet to tell you the truth. It hasn't given me any problems.

Balance shaft tensioner parts I found when I dropped the ladder frame:

unknown1.jpg

Some of these chewed up bits were actually sitting inside the oil pickup:
metal_strip_chewed.jpg

broken_plastic_tensioner.jpg

Looks like those things in the 1st picture you posted, but they are curved nicely, not mangled or bent.

Well if it is the balance shaft's chain tensioner, then here is where it is located (the crankshaft pulley is on the upper-right corner of the pictures):

This is the tensioner with the plastic piece (which pushes against the chain) missing and the metal curved/arched spring (which rests behind the plastic piece) also missing:
missing_tensioner.jpg

Here is a new tensioner installed:
tensioner_replaced.jpg

Wouldn't it rattle slightly, or make a bit of noise with it missing (assuming it is missing that is)?

Depends on what exactly is missing. If the guide is still there, then the guide will probably prevent the chain from "rattling" against the metal tensioner bracket.

Well, it does look like that metal piece of the tensioner you mentioned.

The piece is roughly 2 inches in length (curved). I wish I had taken a pic, but I'll have to wait till I get home from work.

Should I be worried if this is the case? I didn't find anything else when I dropped the pan, just those 2 pieces.

With over 100K on the engine I would bet anything that the timing set has been replaced. Since the ladder frame must be removed to replace the balance shaft tensioner, I dont see how old parts could have been left behind. So one of three things has happened.

1.) Extreamley sloppy work was performed and old parts were left in the pan.

2.) To save a buck, the balance shaft tensioner was not replaced and now is failing.

3.) All tensioners were replaced but the balance shaft or front main tensioner have begun to fail.

I would hope for number one and drive it until it starts to rattle.

Also just so you know, If you did get it started without a main or rod bearing it would come apart quick.

Bob

You're correct

here's a newb question?, Isn't the journal the part of the crank that sits on the bearing? the crank is always spinning with the engine running. If the bearing spins in the engine block, won't there be lubrication problems with the crankshaft? Could Cdn remove the bearing caps to check out the condition of the main bearings without removing the crank or replacing the bearings?

You're correct, it is normal for the crankshaft journals to spin within the bearings. I should have said the bearings can spin in their seats. And yes, when that happens the oil hole in the bearing no longer aligns with the oil hole in the block.

Okay, picture has been posted. The 2 metal strips along with 2 pennies.

Click to enlarge.

Yikes!!

Yikes!!

Looks to small for front main chain. Im thinking balance shaft.
Dale, can you compare that to your old main tensioner bits?
Im 99.9% sure thats balance shaft tensioner parts. :(

You may need to do some sonic checking to make sure thats just old stuff from sloppy work. You dont want to have that chain come apart.

Bob

Edit: Posting a larger image to help you out. (people hate clicking on things)

img00059201008032108-vi.jpg

Like I said, not sure when it did. Could have been earlier in it's life, could have happened recently. My Explorer has given me no headaches thus far.

Had it on recent road trips, and so far for the year and a half I've owned it, I have never noticed any weird sounds or ticks or anything. The engine is pretty quiet at idle actually.

balance shaft chain tensioner

Yikes!!

Looks to small for front main chain. Im thinking balance shaft.
Dale, can you compare that to your old main tensioner bits?
Im 99.9% sure thats balance shaft tensioner parts. . . .
Bob
img00059201008032108-vi.jpg

I won't have time to dig up my old primary tensioner until this evening but I agree with IZwack that it looks like the balance shaft chain tensioner. There are 3 leaf springs in the original primary chain tensioner and I believe only 2 in the balance shaft chain tensioner. Here's a photo of my old primary tensioner and guide.
PrimWorn.jpg

Attachments

• PrimWorn.jpg
    PrimWorn.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,681

Ahh, gotcha.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back