Found a Leak this morning....Any Ideas????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found a Leak this morning....Any Ideas?????

Pachuco76

Reaction score
City, State
Matthews,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
So basically I found a leak this morning.... Wasn't there yesterday.....not sure what to do...What are those lines for?, Is it safe to drive with that leak for a while?, Any ideas??????:mad:
IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So.... How do I upload the pics? It doesn't seem to work....

While viewing the pic in photobucket you hit the "share" button. Then choose the IMG code and paste it into your message.

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

The lines you are showing are transmission but the leak is antifreeze.

Thanks guys, I'll look in to it, any other ideas?????

to me I would look above them lines. Looks like something is dripping down on to them.

Remember ford has a clear brownish coolant.

I will look closely tommorrow morning, thanks jakedrew!!! I've only had the truck for 3 weeks and it's my first Ford... so, there's many things I still don't know about it.....

The lines you are showing are transmission but the leak is antifreeze.

I think I agree.

It looks like coolant. Recommend doing the sniff test with one finger of the leaking stuff and one finger dipped into the coolant recovery tank (cold, of course).

ATF should be reddish to reddish brown in color, so it's not ATF.

From: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306317

Ok, so I started this thread yesterday,http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306184, but no one seems to confirm my suspicions that those lines are related to the ac system in my 02 explorer EB. I've only own it for 3 weeks. The guy I got it from is a coworker and it used to be his wife's vehicle. They owned it for 3 years and decided to get a bigger vehicle. The thing is that yesterday afternoon I noticed a small drip from underneath the vehicle right by the front end. So I reached down and looked up and there it was. It seems to come from one of those two lines. It's clear and didn't really have a smell, but it felt kinda oily....Can anybody tell me if I'm right??? If that's the case, can I fix it? or should I take it to a shop to get it fixed? I drove the car today, can I keep driving it? Lots of questions... Help!!!!!:(

Please do not start duplicate threads on the same problem. The same people who read that sub forum read this sub forum. Duplicate threads dilute useful information and won't change the answer you're getting.

Could be oil leaking out of your A/C system.

Have you tested it lately to see if the compressor kicks on? If the charge is too low, the pressure switch will keep it from turning on, IIRC.

Could be oil leaking out of your A/C system.

Have you tested it lately to see if the compressor kicks on? If the charge is too low, the pressure switch will keep it from turning on, IIRC.

no just no.....

taste it!

you'll know real quick what fluid is leaking.

Not possible? I thought the system contained oil. Mistaken? Or not possible?

Not possible? I thought the system contained oil. Mistaken? Or not possible?

it contains oil, clear oil, ford adds dye at the factory starting some years ago, and it would be neon color, not coolant color.

Got it. Good to know. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, after looking and looking, I think that it could be the water pump... It's very hard to tell as now theres fluid everywhere!!!!If its a W.P., how hard it is to replace it????and most important, How to?????

Back