Found my ghosts in the machine | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found my ghosts in the machine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just writing in this thread incase someone else found it helpful, but needs more information. Below is a link to the thread I started.

My information pertains to 2006-2010 Explorer/Mountaineer 4.0L SOHC.

Check all of your connectors, not just the one that are causing issues. I removed my harness and it was a total mess. It was either going to be a complete rewire, or replacement. I started patching, which wasn't too bad, but also revealed more problems the farther into the harness I got. After patching the wires near the connector, that same set of wires farther in, had multiple breaks in the insulation.

I found a new OEM replacement, so I'm going that route instead. At the time of this post, there were 10 harnesses available in the United States. My specific part number was 6L2Z-9D930-BA. Yours may be different.

Once I have my new replacement in hand, I'll strip the tape and loom from the original harness just to see how bad it is.

I read all post on this subject and was wondering if anyone does not have these issues with the wiring. I have a 2010 Mountaineer 4.0 and have no issues yet. Miliage is 81,500. I checked the wire's and none are cracked or cracking. Am I lucky or is this inevitable. Thanks folks.

The 2009-2010 models seem to have far fewer issues with deteriorating wire insulation than the 2006-2008 models. Some think Ford changed the wire type used in these model years that doesn't have the same insulation as the previous years. My 2010 Mountaineer doesn't have deterioration issues either. At least for now.

I read all post on this subject and was wondering if anyone does not have these issues with the wiring. I have a 2010 Mountaineer 4.0 and have no issues yet. Miliage is 81,500. I checked the wire's and none are cracked or cracking. Am I lucky or is this inevitable. Thanks folks.
I have an 07 with 135K and so far no problems. I haven't really examined everything closely but every time I disconnect something I look at it and so far so good. I'm sure it will happen eventually but it doesn't seem to be deteriorating as quickly as some. I don't know why but I will mention that I'm in what I would consider to be a mid climate and it is garage kept.

Glad I could assist. Checking and fixing my harness cured sooooo many issues that just didn't make sense, and didn't cost me anything (my roll of electrical tape must be 20 years old).

I'm trying find a way to re-post my original photos. Anyone know how?
I am a late in life transitioning careers mobile mechanic. As I am self and internet trained along with my new software and educational programs in electrical for automotive starting soon I just bought a 2006 Ford explorer was told upon purchase they think the transmission is bad I drove it home all years worked very very rough every shift but reverse is out and I went to go check the shift sensor and make sure that it wasn't broken inside but when starting my new to me car it was now in limp mode after driving it home it went into limp mode with a p2104, p2107, p2110, p2111, and p2112. Stepping on the acceleration pedal nothing happens. My first place to look was were the codes told me to looking at my electronic throttle body and I noticed that not only do my TP sensor wires have cracks and really poorly repairs prior to my getting the car someone used seemingly masking tape to tape off the wires but now I also noticed there's cracks at the MAF sensor also I have cracks down on the EGR connections and I also noticed there's an entire piece of harness missing off the fan shroud it's just wire kind of dangling there and that wire is also cracked there's also some cracks along the the fuel injector plugins do you think it's worth me chasing down every single wire through the harness here and putting liquid covering on it or however your recommendation being a scenario or should I just simply go to a junkyard and pull off a harness that is complete and doesn't have this going on I'm not sure how much it would cost in the junkyard and I know it'll be a lot of work but I think it would be much more work to go through the process of completely taping off a harness that has cracks all the way through it and backyard mechanics with very little backyard experience going awry because it was an engine swap that caused this I found out after buying it I believe possibly the wiring harness May remove all those codes in addition to that there was a seemingly transmission code popping too car was going a little rough to the gears first through 5th and I couldn't tell if it was skipping third but I know it has no reverse so it's either the linkage or I have a bad band on the third gear reverse servo what are your thoughts with the small amount of symptoms I can gather driving the car 5 mi home from its purchase point

The deteriorating wiring harness issues are one of the worst things to tackle in 4th gen Explorers and Mountaineers. If the harness has insulation issues everywhere then I would opt for a swap rather than a massive patch job. The biggest problem will be finding a suitable donor that doesn't have these issues too. It seems that the 2009-2010 Explorers/Mountaineers don't have insulation problems but I don't know if the harnesses in these vehicles are compatible with earlier model years.

I am a late in life transitioning careers mobile mechanic. As I am self and internet trained along with my new software and educational programs in electrical for automotive starting soon I just bought a 2006 Ford explorer was told upon purchase they think the transmission is bad I drove it home all years worked very very rough every shift but reverse is out and I went to go check the shift sensor and make sure that it wasn't broken inside but when starting my new to me car it was now in limp mode after driving it home it went into limp mode with a p2104, p2107, p2110, p2111, and p2112. Stepping on the acceleration pedal nothing happens. My first place to look was were the codes told me to looking at my electronic throttle body and I noticed that not only do my TP sensor wires have cracks and really poorly repairs prior to my getting the car someone used seemingly masking tape to tape off the wires but now I also noticed there's cracks at the MAF sensor also I have cracks down on the EGR connections and I also noticed there's an entire piece of harness missing off the fan shroud it's just wire kind of dangling there and that wire is also cracked there's also some cracks along the the fuel injector plugins do you think it's worth me chasing down every single wire through the harness here and putting liquid covering on it or however your recommendation being a scenario or should I just simply go to a junkyard and pull off a harness that is complete and doesn't have this going on I'm not sure how much it would cost in the junkyard and I know it'll be a lot of work but I think it would be much more work to go through the process of completely taping off a harness that has cracks all the way through it and backyard mechanics with very little backyard experience going awry because it was an engine swap that caused this I found out after buying it I believe possibly the wiring harness May remove all those codes in addition to that there was a seemingly transmission code popping too car was going a little rough to the gears first through 5th and I couldn't tell if it was skipping third but I know it has no reverse so it's either the linkage or I have a bad band on the third gear reverse servo what are your thoughts with the small amount of symptoms I can gather driving the car 5 mi home from its purchase point
For the tranny issues, a problem I had with that 06 Ex was that the AC condensation drain dumped out right on top of the electrical connector on the side of the tranny. The the issue was the electrical connector on the tranny was not seated properly, allowing condensate to get into the pins and cause shorting, which made the tranny do some weird stuff, but only in the summer and when it was raining.

I found that when I was checking all my connectors for the insulation failure.

I would advise you to crawl under and give that tranny electrical connection a good inspection. Take it off, look at the pins and the socket for water, debris, corrosion, etc...anything that ain't right. And make sure the seal is in good working order. And check the cable for missing insulation. Shorts on the tranny cable can cause it to have a very weird behavior.

Back