Found something in my transmission oil pan. what is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found something in my transmission oil pan. what is it?

arronnorton

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Madison, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited '92 Sport
ok I am changing the trans fluid and filter but when I finaly got the pan off and drained I found a magnet strip in there (good Idea) and two little round cylender things in there also. what are they and are they needed?
25398_379957272513_645022513_3974163_4015877_n.jpg

Are they plastic or metal?

If plastic, they are likely just plugs left in the pan from when it was originally built. They are not a problem, but it does suggest the pan has never been off of it before.

If they are metal, they are something else, and that's a bad thing...

They look like the metal pins in the gasket to keep it from being overtightened. Check your old gasket and count how many you have. They might have just dropped into the pan when you took it off. If your not coming up short for the count on those, then its a bad thing.

They look like the metal pins in the gasket to keep it from being overtightened. Check your old gasket and count how many you have. They might have just dropped into the pan when you took it off. If your not coming up short for the count on those, then its a bad thing.

Thanks thats what they were. my trasnmission wasn't shifting right so It scared me when I seen small metal peises in the pan.

Back