• Register Today It's free!

four wheel drive iusse HELP

pathwayus

Reaction score
City, State
wnc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Blue Explorer
Afternoon I have a 1994 explorer that I got back in the late spring that need a new motor and some work done on the inside. With most that work done and the explorer running, it was time to find the answer to this question and i hope that some one here can help. The motor that change form 2wd to 4high or 4low was missing, so i talk to the old owner of the truck and they said last year the pulled into a gas station but gas in the truck then started it up and it went right into four low. They but a new four wheel drive motor on it but it did the same thing. With the motor removed you can change it by hand. But where I live i don't all ways need 4 high to get around and its hard on it to leave it in four high with nothing on the roads. My guess is it might be the computer that works the four wheel drive system or the relay. I have looked for a relay that works the four wheel drive but I can't find one or the computer I've been told the computer is in the back but I haven't found it. Any help would be great thanks.

The computer is back behind the jack panel over the wheel hump. Driving in 4 high all the time is bad for the transfer case. Since it's chain driven there must be slippage from the wheels for it to operate correctly. If you are driving for an extended period on regular roads with it in 4 high you can damage the unit. I really dont have any other advice for other than to swap for a manual tcase and get rid of the 4x4 computer all together.

Thanks man that will make it easier to find now :), and like you said i don't want to be hard on the transfer case. I would hate to have to fix something else I've been work on this truck non stop for weeks.

Back