Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
First some pictures..

100_1022.jpg

100_1023.jpg

100_1024.jpg

Yeah.. thats a tow strap, i'll explain later

100_1028-1.jpg

I couldnt find axle code 44 anywhere.. D4 is LS3.73, im guessing 44 is open 3.73?

The good.. clean rip-free interior

100_1025.jpg

The bad.. paint/clear peel

100_1029-1.jpg

new radiator = GOOD!

100_1027-1.jpg

blown head = BAD! thats why theres a tow strap

100_1026-1.jpg

What it is:

1990 Ford Bronco II
2.9L v6
4spd Auto rebuilt
Push Button 4wd
Auto Hubs
Power windows/locks
120K+ miles

A little background..

This vehicle was purchased by my mother 5? yrs ago and used on a mail route. Other than brake issues and a bad fuel pump the truck ran great. When my mother purchased her 2006 Wrangler for use on the route she gave the BroncoII to my younger sister. Now it goes downhill... I got a call one evening from my sister who had my brother with her and they both said that smoke was coming from underneath the hood. My brother checked the oil and said the level was ok. Before I could get out to where they were they went ahead and tried to drive it home. The 'smoke' they saw was actually steam from where the radiator had cracked and lost all of the coolant. They continued to drive about 6 miles with the temp guage peg'd in the red. Driving up a hill they felt a loss of power, some pops, and the truck died.

After it was towed to where im living 2 weeks later (my sister isnt very responsible) I replaced the radiator with a brand new unit, filled it with coolant, checked the oil which was fine, and started the truck. I immediately heard a knock from the bottom end and a 'chug' or 'woosh' from the pass side of the motor. I check the coolant level, low. Checked the oil, milky. Do a compression test, very low compression on the pass side head. So the truck sat for some time.

I have always wanted another BroncoII and since she left the title in the glove box guess what? Im going to acquire it. I am currently looking for a good running 2.9L to replace whats in it. I know alot of you are saying 'put in a 4.0' or 'why not go with a v8', honestly I want to do alot of things with this truck but just dont have the money.

Here are the plans I have for this truck so far..

replace 2.9L
2" rear blocks
f-150 spacers up front
2" ext shocks (which I already have)
ext. radius arms
remove sway bars
hopefully this will clear 31s or 32s, if not.. 2" BL which im trying to avoid.

I want this truck to be a reliable back up for my fiance and I in case something would happen to one of our vehicles.. and to be able to take it out on mild to moderate trails and have some fun!

Have any ideas? Comments? Let me know..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

instead of replacing the 2.9L put a 4.0L in there, the 2.9L is actually very expensive to replace and the 91-94 OHV 4.0L will basically bolt in

very nice truck!!

instead of replacing the 2.9L put a 4.0L in there, the 2.9L is actually very expensive to replace and the 91-94 OHV 4.0L will basically bolt in

very nice truck!!

he has a good point, that and 4.0L are everywhere.

with a 89-90 BII there is very little wiring changes, yes the 4.0L computer is needed, but in 1989 - 1994 there are little changes under the hood, same power distribution, etc

the 4.0L is basically a 2.9L with MAS and DIS, thats it, so I have even seen 4.0L conversions done keeping the 2.9L wiring harness and simply pigybacking the mas and DIS wires on top of it, I thin it is very simple to put a 4.0L in there, using the 4.0L wiring. Same layout, same hookups, same wire plugs at the firewall... do some research for less then the cost of new heads for that 2.9L you could have a 4.0L

Thats something I might consider.. thanks for the tips Jamie. I know of a guy that piggybacked the MAF wiring onto a 88 mustang 5.0, might be able to get some tips from him.

As far as the lift or anything goes anyone have any advice? I'm trying to locate some used TTB lift parts in case thats a route I want to take. I wanted minimal lift for clearance, flex, and larger tires but with the alignment problems i might have to consider other options.

I even thought about a SAS... but IDK if i have that kind of money since I dont have the tools/skills necessary for the fab work.

Back