Fram filters? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fram filters?

ron2 is right. I had a friend who worked at a factory that made oil filters. He claimed that they provided a substantial amount of the filters on the market and was amused to know that people thought they were getting something different when in fact it was packaging and marketing hype.

I use Fram on everything I own with ZERO issues...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess we should be sending out alerts to the 72,000,000 people that bought Fram oil filters last year telling them that their motors will either blow up or go bad using Fram oil filters.
Someone must be making TRILLIONS of $$$ rebuilding all those motors. :D
My take? If you change you oil and filter regulary, use any filter you can find.
If it makes you feel better using another oil filter then go for it. :thumbsup:

I use to use Castrol GTX high mileage with a Napa Gold filter every 3k. Last change I switched to AMSoil synth oil and filter. Air filter too. Slowly converting everything on my X to AMS.

3DFanatic said:
I use to use Castrol GTX high mileage with a Napa Gold filter every 3k. Last change I switched to AMSoil synth oil and filter. Air filter too. Slowly converting everything on my X to AMS.

Do you still intend to use a 3k OCI? I hope not.

yep that would get rather expensive now wouldn't it

I've been running nothing but motorcraft oil and filter in the f150, explorer, and mustang since i read about fram (bout 2 years ago). The explorer purrs as softly as a new born kitten and the mustang and f150 do too :)

Hey look at the filter on a top fuel dragster there mostly fram filters, and most filters are made the same way and they come with warrentys just read the fine print!

cgriffin_5139 said:
Hey look at the filter on a top fuel dragster there mostly fram filters, and most filters are made the same way and they come with warrentys just read the fine print!

Yes, but they rebuild the engine after every round. Also if you are sponsored by FRAM you have to use their filter.

My dad was a mechanic for Toyota for years. In the parts department they had a cut away of a FRAM, Toyota & another brand of filter.

That FRAM was a POS. On top of that the Toyota filter has an anti-siphon valve that keeps presure in the filter to avoid dry start up. The FRAM did not have this.

aldive said:
Do you still intend to use a 3k OCI? I hope not.

No. AMS says you can go 25k on an oil change but I don't know about that...I might go 10. We'll see.

ok if fram didnt make a good filter them why are they still in business i meen if there stuff was junk why do they out sell the other brands! i also know that fram sponsors
nhra and they rebuild after every round i used to work for the travers tools top fuel dragster we used puroilator filters!

I used a Fram PH8A one time, it dragged my oil pressure down. The next oil change I went back to a Motorcraft FL1A and my oil pressure came back up.

I used to be a loyal user of Quaker "CAKE" oil in the 1970s and early 80s until I saw a valve cover taken off of a motor of another LOYAL Quaker State customer. I immediately switched to Havoline on all of my vehicles. I gave a van I owned for some many years to my mom and years after she got it from me it developed a water leak in the corner of the intake manifold. When I removed the intake the galley was so clean you could have almost eaten off of it.

I have stayed with Havoline brand oil from the day I saw the caked up mess caused by Quaker State oil and will use Motorcraft oil filters until they go out of business. If that happens I will use any filter other than a Fram oil filter. Fuel filter, air filter, no big deal, so far.....

A$ for all of tho$e race team$ and the million$ they make off of $aying "I U$E FRAM OIL FILTER$", they can use them all they want. They get them free anyway. They'll never admit it if an oil filter caused them to lose a motor. With my budget I can't take that kind of chance.

I run Mobil 1 5W30 but just with the cheapy Fram filter. From reading other posts and above, is it alright to run the synthetic oil a bit longer and just change the filter? Right now, I change the oil and filter at around 8,000 KM intervals. I do 95% highway driving with it though (however sometimes in gridlock traffic).
Any thoughs on if I can get away with running the oil longer and changing the filter mabye ever 4-5K KM's? Or should I just change the oil with the filter? I try to stretch the change intervals just cause the oil's so damn expensive.
Thoughts???

Pugsy,

IMHO......you got the correct idea........syn oil can go longer.........so, I agree.

Keep the oil........and change out the filter at regular intervals........then, add more syn to get the level up to the vehicle's operating range.

A complete oil change (syn) and filter change can be done when your syn oil has run it's course.

Aloha, Mark

PS........Cost effective (to do it that way)......otherwise, it's a waste.

ok if fram didnt make a good filter them why are they still in business i meen if there stuff was junk why do they out sell the other brands!

Because of advertising & name recognition.

If you go to Wal-Mart or most any parts store in the America 70-80% of the oil fiters they stock are FRAM. People see FRAM & think "Hey I saw there add on TV so so thus must be the filter I should buy".

Just because they out sell all other brands does not make them a good filter.

Look at all those oil aditives that that claimed you could drain the oil & drive a car under normal circumstances with out damaging the engine. One even used Bobby Unser to hock their product. You don't see this stuff on the shelf anymore

There was a class action law suit against Slick 50 a few yaers ago becuse of their claims.

The reason know one has gone after FRAM ( Read Alied Signal) is beacuse the money they have to fight with.

pugsy said:
I run Mobil 1 5W30 but just with the cheapy Fram filter. From reading other posts and above, is it alright to run the synthetic oil a bit longer and just change the filter? Right now, I change the oil and filter at around 8,000 KM intervals. I do 95% highway driving with it though (however sometimes in gridlock traffic).
Any thoughs on if I can get away with running the oil longer and changing the filter mabye ever 4-5K KM's? Or should I just change the oil with the filter? I try to stretch the change intervals just cause the oil's so damn expensive.
Thoughts???

The new Amsoil filters are suppose to be able to go the full 25kmiles that the oil can go...

How long can you run Mobil 1 synthetic oil for if you change the filter every 3,000 miles? How can you tell if the oil's deteriorating?
Thanks

pugsy said:
How long can you run Mobil 1 synthetic oil for if you change the filter every 3,000 miles? How can you tell if the oil's deteriorating?
Thanks

Only real way o tell is via UOA.

I have mine done at Dead Link Removed

What kind of life on average are you getting from a full synthetic?

cgriffin_5139 said:
ok if fram didnt make a good filter them why are they still in business i meen if there stuff was junk why do they out sell the other brands! i also know that fram sponsors
nhra and they rebuild after every round i used to work for the travers tools top fuel dragster we used puroilator filters!

This question seems to be the crux of the discussion...

1. Because they have a HUGE advertising and marketing budget. They are sold EVERYWHERE and people don't know any difference.

2. Don't confuse what you see on a top fuel dragster for what you can pick up at your local wally-world. There is absolutely no way that a million-dollar-a-year + drag operation is running the same stuff you pick up at the discount store.

3. CUT A FRAM -- ANY FRAM -- filter in half. End of discussion about their supposed quality. DO IT!

4. About "all those engines" successfully running Fram and Pennzoil for years with no problems. Ever been in an engine rebuilding shop? They are PACKED FULL of people's engines that seemingly "have no problem with their oil or filter." I've taken in MULTIPLE engines that blew rods, tossed bearings, etc, that had less than 100K and had their oil changed religiously. ALL used Fram and Pennzoil -- anecdotal, yes, but the motor shop owner called it EVERY TIME I brought in a new block for machine work. He loves it -- makes him money.

5. Note that I'm not bringing any "sales pitch" here for my own favorite brands... I'll do so if someone wants, but for now, I'm just bringing in 30+ years of information that I've seen both selling, using, and fixing stuff that ran Fram and Pennzoil as a sales rep, an ASE certified Master Tech, and as a high performance enthusiast since 1972. I've likely built more motors than a good many of the younger crowd on this board have even seen, plus I worked in industrial hydraulics where I had close to a million dollars worth of testing equipment. I KNOW what I DON'T RUN... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think my truck is not agreeing with fram filters so i was going to try something new i was thinking K&N. are they any good?oil filters that is.

Back