Frame Possibly Bent?

BSlusser

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT SOHC
Hello All,

This last weekend saw a misfortune for my '99 as I hit a small boulder in the desert doing about 40MPH on tires aired down irresponsibly low. The tire is donezo.

2012-11-24_09-21-45_487.jpg

Unfortunately that's the least of my problems. After freaking out about the tire and being driven around town the next day looking for a spare 32" (not in stock anywhere, to the surprise of no one), we took a closer look and noticed some peculiar things. For starters, the first truck on the scene after the blowout lent me a 33" - a size I know for certain I can run no problem with no rubbing. This should have been my first clue when it was rubbing on the way back to camp at the slightest bump or turn. At any rate, I can't tell if the frame is bent or if I just need new torsion bars. Take a look at the passenger side, which received the blow, and compare it with the presumably healthy driver's side.

Notice how far out the torsion bar sticks from the LCA on the passenger side...
2012-11-28_16-16-04_695.jpg

2012-11-28_16-17-01_214.jpg

Compared to the driver side...
2012-11-28_16-16-23_234.jpg

2012-11-28_16-17-17_489.jpg

The only noticeable damage, that I'm assuming had to be from the collision, was this bothered frame weld between the frame and front cross member. From this view, the front of the vehicle is to the right.
2012-11-28_16-17-38_685.jpg

Compared to the driver side again
2012-11-28_16-17-55_833.jpg

Finally, I'm already pretty certain I'll need at least one new torsion bar judging by these. If I'll need both, which makes symmetrical sense, I have a donor from our forum, which I'm very grateful for.
2012-11-28_16-18-31_831.jpg

Not hard to see the bend in the bar
2012-11-28_16-19-39_458.jpg

Driver side-
2012-11-28_16-18-48_984.jpg

Panoramic just for good measure
2012-11-28_16-19-07_318.jpg

So what jumps out at you guys? I just got back from a shop who wants $95 before they'll take a look at it, which I have no qualms with but I really need to make sure my daily ('99 Civic with some overheating issues) gets taken care of first so I have at least one reliable vehicle. I'm not in a huge rush to get it repaired but would like to know what I'm up against so I know how much of my tax return is going to be eaten by this.

And finally, a few pictures from this weekend as a reward for looking at all that
532291_453604161342364_506146959_n.jpg

465575_10151958169567841_1929590491_o.jpg

704493_4922560863186_946702685_o.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That... is my new favorite picture :D

As far as your frame, if I'm looking at it like I think I am, it seems your torsion bar did it's job and took the brunt of the impact. You could probably get a new bracket made up from a fab shop, or even get it straightened and rewelded. I'd say your best bet to check for frame damage would be to take it to a collision shop and have them do their magic laser measurements. It might cost you a bit, but it's pretty damn accurate and they could even straighten it for you if it's off a bit.

And hey, if you need a replacement wheel, I have those exact ones. I just got a set of Black Rocks and I'd be willing to send you the wheel if you cover shipping.

Your frame is probably bent at the rear mounting point for the control arm.

That... is my new favorite picture :D

As far as your frame, if I'm looking at it like I think I am, it seems your torsion bar did it's job and took the brunt of the impact. You could probably get a new bracket made up from a fab shop, or even get it straightened and rewelded. I'd say your best bet to check for frame damage would be to take it to a collision shop and have them do their magic laser measurements. It might cost you a bit, but it's pretty damn accurate and they could even straighten it for you if it's off a bit.

And hey, if you need a replacement wheel, I have those exact ones. I just got a set of Black Rocks and I'd be willing to send you the wheel if you cover shipping.

Haha I'm glad you enjoyed that. I'll definitely be taking it in as soon as I'm on my feet again from whatever needs to be done to the daily driver. Thanks for thinking of the wheel as well, not sure what I'll do if that's trashed but I'd be hard pressed to imagine it is.

Your frame is probably bent at the rear mounting point for the control arm.

Yikes.

Has anyone ever had frame repair work done like this? What's the ballpark for that kind of work?

To me it looks like that corner of the suspension was pushed rearward since the torsion bar is now sticking out the front of the arm when it should be recessed like the other side. You for sure bent something on the lower control arm mount. The frame rails themselves are likely fine. As mentioned above, get it checked out by a body/frame shop.

Which way does the torsion bar get placed in? Does it slide in from the front? Ill have to check it out to have a little bit more hands on look next time im at your house but Im thinking that your lower control arm is probably bent.

I'm suprised it bent something being you only hit it at 40. I've hit stuff way harder and been fine.
I did have to get my frame straightened once, hitch got ripped off and bent the back part of the frame downwards (also tore up the holes for the hitch) cost $600 to get it mostly straight. New hitch is angled down about 1* but it's good enough

Got me one of those horse head masks... went over big last Christmas party...

looks like the control arm and torsion bar ar bent and will need to be replaced at a minimum. you may have also bent the frame where the LCA bolts on. if the new arm doesn't put the end of the torsion bar end back to its normal position you'll need a vist to the frame shop.

More Pics?

If possible, could you post a pic of the bushing on the lower control arm, they may have compressed quickly, shoving the arm back, twisting the torsion bar and knocking the key loose.

Back