Frame protection? To undercoat, paint, por 15, or bed lining. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frame protection? To undercoat, paint, por 15, or bed lining.

Jamieh560

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
Well, I still got engine out of my explorer.... to overhaul (thread of overhauling.)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195277

I also removed all the suspension and superlift lift kit. I found a couple of things wrong when i got looking when I pulled the engine out. The rack and pinion was leaking, lower ball joints bad, and my biggest issue is surface rust on frame... I've removed all surface rust, sanded frame down, and primed. What is the best frame protection, I bought the duplicolor truck bed line.. But is it any good? what would ya'll doing??? I've got all my parts ready to go back together.. I want good frame protection... Thier seems to be pros and cons to everything... Thanks for any info! Thanks Jamie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering about using the Dupli-Color bed lining as undercoating as well. I am going to try it. It should be much more durable than undercoating. My frame has light surface rust. I just rub it down with used motor oil. I let it sit on there for about a week and then rub on a light coat of Valvoline wheel bearing grease, the type recommended for Ford vehicles. I did it on another vehicle years ago and it worked well. The road dust eventually stuck to the grease and it made almost some sort of undercoating. Worked very well. Before you apply the Dupli-Color you may want to surface prep with Du Pont metal conditioner. :)

My Explorer was undercoated (rubberized undercoating) by a shop a few days after it was purchased and to this day, the frame is rust free where I haven't purposely removed the undercoating.

The downside to this undercoating is that its a little bit more time consuming to remove (compared to just paint) if you're going to weld to the frame. I use a knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder and, when the weld is critical, wipe the chassis clean with rubbing alcohol prior to welding.

Por15 should only be used on bare metal or rusted surfaces.. Its strength is that it bonds to the metal.. If you already painted/primed the surface then the product would bond to the paint/primer which will eventually flake off.

navajo . underside

i didnt do alot to my frame just blk rubber undercoat the body i did this

Attachments

• trans 014.jpg
    trans 014.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 590
  • trans 023.jpg
    trans 023.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 623

Back