• Register Today It's free!

frame rust

mrbrinks

Reaction score
City, State
BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford explorer
So, my frame looks a little rusted, okay maybe a lot rusted. It doesn't look colored anymore, but it looks just like surface rust. No huge gaping holes or anything. Resolvable? My mechanic told me to pretty much sell it because of that. The frame doesn't look nearly as bad as anything else, aka the shocks and struts (Paint it peeling off).

Sorry for editing so much, but I just looked at the frame and it doesn't seem as rusted as a lot of the other parts of the truck, the inside of my back bumper is probably the worst. Sorry again for making so many posts, not really a good car person and I am overthinking a lot of stuff that's wrong with my truck. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Surface rust as in no degradation to the integrity of the frame or surface rust as in eating away? If you like the truck, seek another opinion, talk to some people, present some pics, and form a census. It MIGHT not be anything more than surface rust. If this is the case, talk to a body shop about how to preserve it.

Good luck!

Rusty frames are common, especially in areas that see snowy winters and salted roads. Ford doesn't paint the frames very well, and the stuff they use flakes off within years. Ford seems to use mild steel for everything, which rusts fast, especially when coated with something that's not going to stand up to the environment it's going to be used in.

It's not really a big deal, but you can make it look better appearance-wise just by hosing the frame down with water, scrubbing it down with some dishwashing detergent, then either using sandpaper or a wire brush to get any scaly rust off, cleaning the frame again, and using something like mineral spirits to prep the surface, and finally using spray paint or just brush your choice of rust-preventative paint for metal on there.

You can just wash it and paint it to the best of your ability, or leave it alone if you don't really care. If the metal isn't being eaten away and the steel doesn't have holes or look like it's getting thin in spots, it's likely just surface rust.

As for the shocks and other stuff, it's usually time to replace them if they are rusted badly. New ones will be powdercoated and look good, especially if the other metal stuff around them is cleaned up and painted.

I'm in an area where road salt is pretty bad all long winter. Every couple of years, I just power wash it and get a can of cheap old black paint. As to integrity, I just did some work and lifted the entire side of my truck up by one point in the middle. No problems, no creaks, plain old solid.

Lowes has a spray paint called "rust reformer" which works well for controlling rust on metal parts. I have used this on a couple of MGB restoration jobs.
Anyone familiar with the older British cars will understand the rust problems with them.
Just wire brush and/or sand to remove any loose rust and be sure the metal is structurally sound and not completely destroyed.
It (this paint) is easy to use and inexpensive. Just follow the directions on the spray can.
Two or three cans will probably do to start with.

Thanks for all the info guys. The frame is probably the least worst part of the truck. Should be nothing more than a wire brush and paint like you guys said. There some parts in the engine that are more rusted than the frame but I'm just going to get a rebuild at some point anyway. I would get pictures for you guys if I could actually connect my damn phone to the computer.

I also live in Vancouver so when it's not raining, it's snowing. Haha.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any 1993 anything without serious frame rust (a lot of it) in areas that salt roads/have lots of snow...

Just my .02

True. I decided to remove a class 3 hitch from my exp a few years ago, it was just excess weight and a shin buster... I never tow anything bigger than a lawn mower. Took me all day because the bolts were so bad, ultimately had to just lay under it and grind them away. My original Firestone spare on the original steel rim is under there, but I don't think I would dare use it. The rim is beyond nasty.

Back