free mod idle fix throtle response | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

free mod idle fix throtle response

Velocity4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Essex England
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer
while i was trying to find a cure for my cruise control problem i came across this thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79362&highlight=cruise+control

it seems to be a good mod im going to do mine and see if it makes any differance i know the mod is on the v8 ex but it will also work on ours
i read through a lot of the feedback and there seems to be a lot of positive response one guy reckons instead of 210 miles per tank hes getting 270 now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bumpety bump

now that looks interesting will keep an eye on how that works for you.

ill keep you posted ill also lwt you all know which wires are what

nice one,as it looks like the ex is staying, some more mpg would be a bonus-its good now, but a little more wouldnt hurt at all:p:

might even spend some money on her this year.

ive dug out my voltmeter just need to get a new battery for it then ill let you how it went i will be doing it in the morning

well i decided i needed to see if it works so off i poped to sainsburys to get a battery for my voltmeter
i tested all three wires and found the middle wire (grey and white) was the one that showed the voltage i needed as described in the above thread there are 2 other wires one does not show any reading and the other was at 5volts

anyway my tps was at 0.82volts so i just undone the screw at the top just a fraction and was able to adjust the sensor without drilling any holes mine is now set to 0.96 and it does idle better im not sure as of yet wheter or not it makes a differance to the fuel consumption nore do i know if the throtle response is any better but it does make the car idle better even though it is OBD II

top wire (red and grey) o volts
middle wire (grey and white) 95-97volts this is the one you need
bottom wire also (grey and white) 5 volts

im not talking about the differance its made for me as ive not drove the truck yet,
i meant all those in the thread above that have OBD II trucks and say theres a differance i know my idle is better but at the mo thats it
ill know more in the morning
without getting to technical as a mechanic ive got to say it does make sense

id just like to add this qoute from the first thread from:

Fredness

Sasquatch Country!
'98 Sport

To the nay-sayers: Just because it did nothing for you doesn't diminish its worth.

It worked for me on 2 of 3 vehicles, especially the Explorer.
As for reading the EEC tables, I wish it were that simple. The tables don't tell you the math behind the numbers, what the numbers are being used for and how the PCM reacts.

The TPS is used for SO much more than idle, it triggers the open loop flag (shut down the O2 sensors and run off commanded fuel), shuts off the AC (and Alternator on some!), determines shift points on auto's and more. THe TPS/PCM relationship is pretty special.

The factory puts a +/- on the values and there is some learning on functions, but if the sensor is old/worn, it may not be within spec. This is to get it there. If it has drop-outs or if it is noisy (meter bounces instead of a fluid movement), the TPS should be replaced, even if the high and low numbers are correct.

Example: data logging a cutomers Ranger and the stock settings NEVER went to open loop. The TPS was correct, it was reading 4+V @ WOT, but the PCM never went to open loop. Reflashed with a "custom" tune that was bone stock and it did the same thing. Dropped the openloop TPS from .650 to .500 and bingo! Open loop everytime and big performance gains.

Also, as with any other modification/adjustment, there is the assumption that EVERYTHING ELSE IS CORRECT. That's a pretty bold assumption...

I've mucked about with the TPS for a couple of years now and found;
Its a waste of time unless you get the base idle speed correct first,
It can also alter the way the gearbox changes gear,
The higher the voltage , the more petrol it uses.
Make a mark as to the position of the TPS before messing about in case it all goes pear shaped!

thanks kevin thats a good idea also make sure you use the top wire on the sensor as your earth otherwise you will get an incorrect read on the voltmeter
........i must say after driving it today it does seem more responsive

i wrote above that mine was 0.92 before i started i meant 0.82 so it was running very lean

Back