Free play in steering wheel when driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Free play in steering wheel when driving

ureiman

Reaction score
City, State
stone mountain, georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
My steering wheel on my 1994 Ford Explorer has a lot of free play when I drive, how can I fix this problem or what is a decent repair cost?

Thanks for your help.

First you have to determine what is causing the play. It could be tie rods, drag link, steering box, etc. Depending on what is causing the play, that will determine the cost of repairs. I would get a front end inspection done, if you are unable to do this yourself. If you are able to do the repairs yourself, the cost will be greatly reduced.

slap the front end on jackstands and get under there and check things out,turn the steering wheel,check bushings,shake the tires and tierods around,I had this problem and it was my steering gearbox,pulled that off a junkyard car and replaced it and no more play,I also replaced the radius arm bushings,theres an adjuster on the steering gearbox but i wouldnt recommend messing with that,I tried and it went from just being an annoying problem to a dangerous problem that needed immediate attention

Back