Freestyle, observation and analysis | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Freestyle, observation and analysis

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I did some poking around at dealer's lot and took a look at their demo Freestyle. It is indeed a "crossover" vehicle, but its not a cross between a car and an SUV. It looked more to me like a cross between a station wagon and a minivan. The 3 rows of seats and the pop-down DVD screen spelled "family boat" to me. I looked at the styling from all angles. I really tried to like it, but.... I didn't. With the seats folded I know it can carry a lot of cargo, but it just didn't excite me. Its ugly. It looks like it was designed to compete with the Chrysler Pacifica. I would have liked it if the styling were more like the Volvo Cross Country wagon. If I were in the market for an AWD wagon (and I might be someday), I would buy a Subaru.

However, I think the Freestyle and cars like it may kill the Explorer. Let's face it, although popular with 4X4 truck and outdoor sporting enthusiasts, the main reason for Explorer's extraordinary popularity has been its appeal as a family vehicle. It carries kids and cargo, and it provides the safety and security of 4WD. Now, however, Freestyle can also carry kids and cargo, offers the safety and security of AWD, and it rides and handles like a car, not like a truck. Plus, soccer moms don't need or want a 2-speed transfer case, anyway.

More bad news is higher fuel prices and the CAFE pendulum in congress will eventually swing the other way. This will put more pressure on the Explorer product line.

The way I see it, the Explorer of the future will have to get smaller and more efficient (but not as small as an Escape) and Ford will have to change its image back to that of an enthusiast's truck, like the Nissan Xterra.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that you hit the nail on the head with the competition for the Freestyle. I remember there being talk about it before release, and the business model was to have the Explorer go back to more of its truck roots. Marketing new that the Freestyle would take some sales from the Explorer. There are enough sales to people who wouldn't consider a car-based SUV to support the Explorer for quite a while.

Regarding your thoughts on the interior, it sounds like you could have been looking at a new Explorer--3 rows of seats, buckets available in the middle row, flip-down DVD player...

It's the tranny that is interesting to me. Belts and pulleys - no gears, said to be borrowed from Audi design, no shifting, smooth like a Honda scooter haha!, pushing the mpg's to 27 highway. I wonder if it will last long term, either the tranny or the car.

Yes, I think the transmission is a German design. I forgot the manufacturer. The Honda CVT in the hybrid Civic is belt driven. The Ford tranny in the Freestyle uses a chain. Should be more rugged. Maybe the CVT is the wave of the future, but give me an old fashioned manual gearbox. Gears, gears, gears, direct gear drive, no belts, no pulleys, no juice shifting. I'd prefer a Subaru Forester or Outback with the 5 speed manual to a Freestyle.
Of, course, when I'm 60, I may feel differently...

Bob

Yes, it would be interesting to try. However, I'm used to using engine braking a lot by downshifting going down hill or going onto curved exit ramps. How do you do this with a CVT?

Bob

i have driven one and very very nice ride I must say,,

Back