Freeze plug: need to pull the engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Freeze plug: need to pull the engine?

fkranich23

Reaction score
City, State
Spring City, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
The front left freeze plug on my 1993 ford explorer is leaking a lot of coolant. i've spent about 3 hrs today trying to pry the old one out but got nowhere. Its in a tough spot to get to but i know if i had more room i could easly get it out. do you guys have any good tips on how to remove freeze plugs before i try to pull the motor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually just had to changed out that very freeze plug in mine today. Mine developed a pin hole and was leaking water pretty quick. Here is how I did it.

Knocked the old on into the block and the grabbed a hold of it with a pair of needle nose pliers and also used a screwdriver to bend it and prey it out. The just used a socket the same size as the old one, a swivel adapter and a extension and knocked the new one in place. I did the all from inside of the fender well. I have a 3" body lift so it would be a little easier for me but you should still be able to do it from the fender well also. At the most you may have to take out the inner fender to get room to work.

It was pretty simple for me. Took about 10 minutes to get it changed out.

The front left freeze plug on my 1993 ford explorer is leaking a lot of coolant. i've spent about 3 hrs today trying to pry the old one out but got nowhere. Its in a tough spot to get to but i know if i had more room i could easly get it out. do you guys have any good tips on how to remove freeze plugs before i try to pull the motor?

You may need to remove the accessory bracket and push the a/c and the power steering forward some to get more room.

Also, it should be easier to get to it if you remove the inner fenderwell.

Also, to get it out, I used a hammer and a long punch to rotate it some in the hole. Then I used vice grips and pulled the old one out. On some I did bend the old one first to make it easier to remove.

~Mark

Hey I did one of those also twice. It's tight but doable just don't put one of those expandable rubber ones in. That's what I did and it lasted about 6 months then did it rite. That was on my old truck sounds like it's a common problem. At least it's one you can get at.

good luck

Freeze plug leak

Hi
I just bought '93 and freeze plug leaked. I tightened it (rubber expandable) and everything is ok, but I am going to install block heater when I get time. It will be more permanent and I am moving to upper Maine next year.

Anyhow; how many plugs are there?
I am worried about the others because the tight design does not allow any good access or view. I have either 125K or 225K on engine but previous owners just drove and did not do much in the way of preventative maintenance.

ps Thanks for having the forum

Back