• Register Today It's free!

Fresh Mods to my '08 Sport Trac

Reaction score
City, State
Scotch Plains, NJ/Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Sport Trac Limited 4x4
Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forum. I have been a member for a little while, mostly just reading about the Sport Trac, various mods to it, and solutions to some problems. Well, I finally got my Sport Trac (end of March/beginning of April) and just got around to doing some mods. So far, I've put in the K&N FIPK and the Magnaflow exhaust kit. Installed it myself with my buddies this past weekend. I also installed tail light brush guards and LED brake lights in it. I've put in the links to the vids I put on YouTube. Now, what I want to know is what should I do next? I'm thinking a tuner, but I don't know where to get one / who to get one from. I would also like to upgrade to performance brakes at some point in the future. Any suggestions? Hope y'all like the vids!

FIPK Installed

Open Exhaust

Magnaflow Exhaust Installed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looking good i was thinking u should put hids for the headlights and for the fogs and possibly put headers and possibly tint ur windows and possibly put like a supercharger in it and etc.

Yea, I want to get some HIDs, I was looking for headers, but I couldn't find any for the Sport Trac. I def want a tuner though.

Nice mods!:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Which magna flow kit did you install? Which muffler came with it?

RaceDay,

I got the MagnaFlow kit for the Sport Trac from Amazon. It was around $200 cheaper than from MagnaFlow's website. I put the link below for you to look at. It was definitely worth it. Between that and the K&N FIPK, the truck sounds awesome, especially around 2000-2200 RPMs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VL22XQ

Thanks for the videos!

It's amazing how relatively quiet it is with open exhaust. Those factory cats are still majorly restrictive. With my engine swap in the next month or so, I'm ditching the cats, and adding dual exhaust to the rear of the truck, should be nasty. I'll get some video for sure.

Thanks for the videos!

It's amazing how relatively quiet it is with open exhaust. Those factory cats are still majorly restrictive. With my engine swap in the next month or so, I'm ditching the cats, and adding dual exhaust to the rear of the truck, should be nasty. I'll get some video for sure.

Where do you live that you can get away with no cats?

RaceDay,

I got the MagnaFlow kit for the Sport Trac from Amazon. It was around $200 cheaper than from MagnaFlow's website. I put the link below for you to look at. It was definitely worth it. Between that and the K&N FIPK, the truck sounds awesome, especially around 2000-2200 RPMs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VL22XQ

Do you get a loud droning sound inside? Also, if you get an opportunity, make a video from the outside as it takes off.

Where do you live that you can get away with no cats?

Apparently in NC. Some states are not required to do emissions tests, but removing cats is still a violation of Federal law. It's kind of an iffy thing to do on late-model vehicles because removing them can trigger the CEL. Of course if your state doesn't test, then there is pretty much no way they will catch you. I do know people with Gen 1 Tracs who have installed the Random Technology Y-pipe that repaces the two small pre-cats below the manifolds, leave the main cat, and it still passes emissions. Frankly modern cats aren't very restrictive because the automakers have to get good mpg too. I doubt you would see much gain by removing it, also Magnaflow makes a low-restriction cat. FWIW, I have a Gibson cat-back on mine and on a level road at 65 mph I will get 22-23 mpg (it is rated at 19 hwy) although it's kind of loud, so I would say the stock muffler has more retriction than the cat does.

Apparently in NC. Some states are not required to do emissions tests, but removing cats is still a violation of Federal law. It's kind of an iffy thing to do on late-model vehicles because removing them can trigger the CEL. Of course if your state doesn't test, then there is pretty much no way they will catch you. I do know people with Gen 1 Tracs who have installed the Random Technology Y-pipe that repaces the two small pre-cats below the manifolds, leave the main cat, and it still passes emissions. Frankly modern cats aren't very restrictive because the automakers have to get good mpg too. I doubt you would see much gain by removing it, also Magnaflow makes a low-restriction cat. FWIW, I have a Gibson cat-back on mine and on a level road at 65 mph I will get 22-23 mpg (it is rated at 19 hwy) although it's kind of loud, so I would say the stock muffler has more retriction than the cat does.

Emissions tests are required yearly for inspection and registration here in NC also on all newer vehicles. (late 90's +).

Emissions tests are required yearly for inspection and registration here in NC also on all newer vehicles. (late 90's +).
Okay. Stylin99 said he was going to "ditch the cats" and his profile says he lives in NC. Probably a bad idea then.
I live in PA where emissions testing is required in some counties (like mine) but not in others because of course air and wind stop at county lines. :p

Okay. Stylin99 said he was going to "ditch the cats" and his profile says he lives in NC. Probably a bad idea then.
I live in PA where emissions testing is required in some counties (like mine) but not in others because of course air and wind stop at county lines. :p

I know quite a few people that have off-road H pipes for their Mustangs and they remove the cats after inspection and swap them back when the yearly inspection is due. I guess it's worth it to them to hear that extra rumble. LOL

Ohio is a nice state, no emissions checks. My stangs never had any cats on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is the part number of the k n filter system? Do yo think it adds any more power?

Back