From Bronco to ROCK CRAWLER???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

From Bronco to ROCK CRAWLER????

Alright people I need some opinions. Let me start off by saying this will be a long-term project and I will be working on it in stages.

I've got a chance to purchase a early 80's bronco for $500. The engine is blown and the body is crap(rusted out). The frame, transmission, and current suspension is in decent shape.

Here's what I want to do:
1. Scrap the body and build a Tube cage/body welded to the frame.
2. Swap out the TTB front end with a D44 or D60
3. Keep the 9" Ford rear end, Lock front and rear.
4. Ditch the leafs and go for Coil-Overs front and rear
5. Atlas 4:1 transfercase
6. Drop in a brand new crate motor( Not sure what? )

I've got more, just got to go to work now. So what do you guys think? Like I said this wuold be a long-term project that I would work on as funds come in. Ideas or Suggestions?

THANKS!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a good plan to me :D

Sounds like a great idea.

What do you want the truck to do when it is done?
Rockcrawling? just trails?

Where you are going to wheel it has alot to do with what mods you make to the truck.

Full size bronco's are BIG, but it's a Bronco so the sky's the limit.

Well the deals gotten a little sweeter. I've managed to talk the guy down to $300 cash and I'm going to build him a custom fiberglass enclosure for his subwoofer and install/do some other stereo related stuff.

As far as trails, when finished I would like to do be able to have an all-around rig ready to do a little of everything. I'm not to much into mud, but I do enjoy the occasional extra large puddle now and then.

Any suggestion or things to watch out for?

From the description of what you want it for I think you have a great plan! I especially like the coil over idea. I agree with 410...the sky is the limit with a bronco.

Best wishes
CP :D

Well, I'm still very much in the design stage trying to nail down the details before I do anything. In the words of Jonny 5, "I need more input!!"

Chassis:
I did narrowed down the design of the cage to something similar to the following. The obvious exception that I'll be starting with the bronco's frame as the base versus building a complete tube chassis:
projectdesign3.jpg

projectdesign1.jpg

projectdesign2.jpg

Engine:
The next detail I could use some help on. What engine should I use? The current blown engine is a 351 Windsor. Should I keep the same engine, ditch the carburetor and go fuel injected, or should I be thinking bigger like a 460?

Suspension:
I’m considering a custom 4-link for the front and rear. What are your opinions?

Gears/Tires/Traction Control:
I’m considering running a 37X12.50R17 BFG Krawler T/A KX on Beadlock rims. Any recommendations on gearing?

What about lockers, can I consider running a spool in the rear? What about the front? I may keep this thing street legal just so I can cruise the highway and scare the crap out all the ricers.

David- how bad is the body? Your plan sounds awesome:thumbsup:. But no need for a 460, put it on a diet and definitely EFI.

The only real problem with the body is that the floor is rusted out. Bad enough to where you could fall through if you stepped wrong.

So you think I should stick with the 351W?

I think that the current 351 will provide enough power to do pretty much anything, expecially with EFI like Daemon said. I'm not extremely versed in 351 performance but with EFI, a cam, headers/exhaust, appropriate gearing....the usual power upgrades I think you will be good. I was just thinking also if you wanted some "extreme" torque you could also put on a Klune-V underdrive, but only if you are wanting to do some rock crawling...but it might be cool none the less. I'm baseing this on my brothers old 1/2 ton chevy with a 350 and 35's, it had plenty of power to do quite a bit...a very good all around truck. Anyway, good luck!!!

Later
CP :D

Drop in a 300ci I-6 ... that has got to be the toughest, most hard workign engine Ford has ever made. The one in my F150 has 250k miles on it an never a rebuild or a single problem.

-Justin

i would just go with a mass air 5 liter. you wont really have to worry about a lack of power in something that light, and it will help keep the weight down vs. the 351. you could stick with the 351 and go EFI if you wanted too. im just thinking since its gonna be a buggy you should go ahead and trim off all the weight you can.

A 351w will make 300hp and 300ft lbs with a mild cam and some good head work... toss EFI on it and you will have a very good torque curve with the long intake runners from a F150

Drop in a 300ci I-6 ... that has got to be the toughest, most hard workign engine Ford has ever made. The one in my F150 has 250k miles on it an never a rebuild or a single problem.
I have seen ford I6's go over 350,000 when we pulled the head and dropped the crank you could see with your bare eye's the cylinder holes where oval on the bottom end :eek: tough mill's!

go with 4.88's for 37"s you will never run out of power with a 351 you could step up to 5.13's but if it's a D44 front you may have pinion strength issues cause you lose pinion size with that low of a gear.

4 link the rear it's money well spent :D
also toss a spool in that 9" best bang per buck IMHO

that cage you posted look's alot like the hendrix motorsports cage, nice :)

if i where to build a buggy i would just start with a tube chassis and go from there that way you can have all your suspension links where you want them and not have to worry about getting rid of all the junk you hack off the the truck when you put it on the "diet", it still amazes me how much crap i have sitting in my yard from ripping out my TTB and i still aint got around to the 302-C6-205 thing yet :rolleyes:

There are lot's of good argument's on what to build and how to do it but it's your rig and it should reflect your creativity.... build what you know and learn as you go.

sorry if i hijacked yer thread.

Hotweels, thanks for the input. I'm going to stay with the 351W mainly since I may be able to rebuild the one I have.
I spoke with Dynatrac about using their ProRock 60 front axle with a Detroit Eletrac locker and 5.13 gears, I thought Jeff's front axle was expensive at $4200.

If anyone is interested in the price sheet for Dynatrac's axles:
Pro60 front axle or Pro60 Semi floating rear

I am going to keep the 9" rear and drop in a spool. The suspension will be a 4 Link setup both front and rear.

Anything I'm missing?

Are you sure you want to use a spool? I know they're cheap, but won;t it make turning a b!tch?

-Jusitn

Originally posted by JMT1SOMR
Are you sure you want to use a spool? I know they're cheap, but won;t it make turning a b!tch?

-Jusitn

No it justs make it more fun :)

i have a spool and its not that bad. besides, since his will be buggy-ish it will more than likely have hydro assist or full hydro anyway.

My only issue with running a spool is if I decide to make this beast street legal. I'm going to want better road manners. In which case I'll most likely go with another Detroit Electrac in the rear to match the front.

I've thought about hydraulic steering, but I don't know anything about it. Can somebody enlighten me a little?

Didn't you get rid of your spool james? -- Nice carnage from the wheeling trip...

You are creating a Bronco Frame/Tube Buggy hybrid rock crawler, and are worried about being street legal?:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by JMT1SOMR
Didn't you get rid of your spool james? -- Nice carnage from the wheeling trip...
nope, its staying.

and i agree with robb. i mean, i live in probably the most liberal street drivable area in the nation and it would be pretty hard to sneak a buggy around town without getting pulled over. if you are worried about street manners, then just leave the body on it, put some floor panels in it, and cut the fenders to the hood/rear window. a 4link and coilovers with tons of travel doesnt have very good road manners anyway. really think about what you want for sure before you go through with this so you will be happy with the results.

Back