• Register Today It's free!

From MINI Cooper S to 93 Navajo

LuckyRVA

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Navajo LX
Hey guys, another newb here. :eek: I currently own a 02 MINI Cooper S with a bunch of goodies but am getting tired of the British craftsmanship and am going to be selling it as soon as it gets back out of the shop (been in for 2 1/2 weeks now).

My step father owns a 93 Navajo 4x4 5-speed that has a re-built engine, tranmission and everything else just replaced including almost all the suspension bits. But, has 281,000 miles on it :eek: . And am going to be buying it from him as soon as I sell my MINI.

Also, part of the reason from going from a 1.5 year old vehicle to a 11 year old vehicle is I plan on moving cross country from Richmond, VA to San Diego, CA in 10 months and want a tow vehicle and no car payment and I think the Navajo fits the bill just fine. Please don't tell me I'm wrong.

I've been reading this site for a few weeks now and has been extremely helpful! Sites like this, with people like this are a god send! :D

-Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if you're sure that the transmission is strong, then go for it. The 4.0 is usually pretty strong and reliable but slow and underpowered. The transmission is the weakest link, that's why you want to make SURE that it's in top condition, especially if you're going to tow.

You're gonna have to get used to the slowness of the 4.0 after driving a Cooper S. :D

Even the 5 speed is a weak link? I've read plenty of stuff regarding the auto tranny on this site saying people have had to have re-builds at like 60k miles. The truck has been sitting for almost 2 years but like I mentioned above has had alot of work done (without being driven more than 100 miles during that time) including having the tranny re-built...so hopefully it will hold up *crossing fingers*

I drove it for the first time this weekend. It fired up without any hesitation I backed out of the drive way and the brake pedal went almost straight to the floor :eek: So, I see it needs new brake pads too. But, I took it around the neighborhood and it seemed to drive pretty good for having so many miles.

To be honest it will be a nice change of pace to have a comfortable vehicle to drive around in for once, even if it is slow in comparison to my 200hp MINI...at least I won't have every ricer in town revving at me anymore. :D

Here's a pic of my MINI...

2.jpg

Anybody wanna buy it? :D

-Jason

Got any pics of the navajo?

Not yet...I'll post some as soon as I remember to take my camera over there. I might take some this afternoon and post them up later. But it's basically a stock white 93 Navajo(of course 2 door) with sunroof, 5 speed, and brand new set of BFG A/T's (don't know what size though) on the stock 15" alloys.

-Jason

Nice:D

Yeah, the Mazda 5 speed transmission was better than the Auto for reliability....Welcome to the site!

You gonna miss the nimbleness of that Mini Cooper. Aside from money issue, you should try to keep it. It might be a collectors item someday.

I'd honestly keep both.

I had a 96 that I had loads of fun with, but got rid of it due to problems and the fact that I don't have much free time anymore to go offroad. I'd have a dedicated offroad rig if I had the resources.

I love my GTI for a road vehicle.

I took the Navajo into the shop today to have the brakes looked at...so hopefully I'll hear back from them later today (not holding my breath though). I spent 3.5 hours washing it yesterday. I don't think the car has ever been washed before. It was absolutely filthy. I should be washing and waxing it later this week...then I'll post some pics.

-Jason

I swear I never have luck with cars :rolleyes: ...

Right after installing new brake pads and replacing a broken brake line last week the Navajo developed a nasty rattle/knock from the engine. I guess I shouldn't really be suprised since the car has almost 300,000 miles on it. I put it in the shop on Monday to have the noise diagnosed. I was called yesterday and told it was a wrist pin knock. Is this a common problem with the 91-95 engines? I've never had experience with wrist pin knock...will it eventually cause engine failure?

-Jason

Here's a picture of her...

24401.jpg

For some reason when I first bought it I thought it had the BFG All Terrains but apparently it has Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's. Oh well :rolleyes:

-Jason

That picture taken in Avon NC?

it a very good lookin truck..no rust..a good thing

Welcome to the site luckyrva. I'm in Richmond too. It looks like from those pics was taken down at Pony Pasture.

Yep, good eye it was taken at Pony Pasture.

Actually Ak it does have some rust. I took a picture of the good side. :D The paint is real jacked up too (it's hard to see because of my suckin camera) it'll need some serious attention in the spring.

-Jason

Welcome to the site!:)

THANKS!

Thanks SVO! :D

Tin*Knocker you have a PM.

-Jason

i was talkin about the shot of the mini but whatever

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh I figured you were talking about the Navajo pic. And your right it was taken in Avon. How did you know?

-Jason

Back