Front Air Shocks

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
I have been running air shocks for a few years, looked this stuff up for a future replacement. Monroe made a shock that fit, though I did space it away from the axle as far as I could at the bottom mount. I was concerned with the clearance of the air bag and the CV boot clamp, so spaced it over a bit with a washer and cut the rubber bushing down a bit. I have ran them at least four years in the old Ranger and now in the X. Monroe has been great about listing their shock by mounting type and length. The charts are online and I used them to match-up shocks for my old lifted Bronco. I found less expensive shocks that fit this way and worked great in a crawler, not a basher/high speed rig where more dampening and an off road shock is needed.

This is what I came-up with after matching mounts and size. The stock fronts are listed below and then the Max Air Adjustable I found to match.
Part# mounts Compresssed/Extended Travel
34804 S4 XP5 13.59Î 18.11Î 4.52
MA763 S4 XP5 12.125c 20.125 8.000

The Max Air's compress shorter and importantly, extend further for a Torsion bar crank! I put the lower rated F torsion bars in the Ranger and swore it road a bit better. I am going to do that with this X. It will ride softer and yet one can adjust the ride!

The MA 776 is great for those sagging rear springs or wasted stock air shocks.
MA776 XP7 LS26 15.000 24.375c 9.375

Air shock specs: https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/airshocks.pdf
Monroe shock specs: http://www.monroe.com/downloads/install-instructions-guides/MonroeMountingLengthSpecifications.pdf

Pics, Note: The old part number is chalked:
shock.jpg

shock2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are interesting, that could be a great idea to adjust the ride quality and height. I still have the old original ARC front springs from a 98 Limited, I never got rid of them. I'm hoping the aftermarket coil over shock conversion will work well and improve the ride.

I'm totally gonna try this out

I'm totally gonna try this out
I do have the bars cranked a bit, maybe 1 1/2". The air bags may be a bit to close for comfort, without some lift, to the axle and metal boot tie which could cut the bag. I replaced the metal ties with plastic zip ties on the CV boot as well as spacing the shock over as far as I could. Now I am thinking I also cut the bump stop for clearance........I'll take a look and pic or two.

front-air-shock-bumper-trim.jpg

Hmmmm, Maybe I am getting older, but I have grown tired of these air shocks.

I wanted a better ride when I installed them. They did allow control, being able to tighten-up by adding air. They have performed well and, as any stiffer suspension, beat on you a bit. I think the dampening is bit too much. These were made for a 56 Chevy which is kinda heavy.

I also could see oil leaking from the passenger shock and I made a change.

I have moved on to a set of KYB Gas Adjust.............much nicer ride. I may add some "airlift" bags to carry a load or trailer..........................

Hmmmm, Maybe I am getting older, but I have grown tired of these air shocks.

I wanted a better ride when I installed them. They did allow control, being able to tighten-up by adding air. They have performed well and, as any stiffer suspension, beat on you a bit. I think the dampening is bit too much. These were made for a 56 Chevy which is kinda heavy.

I also could see oil leaking from the passenger shock and I made a change.

I have moved on to a set of KYB Gas Adjust.............much nicer ride. I may add some "airlift" bags to carry a load or trailer..........................
just saw this- would be a great idea! except my b bars are stif LOL!!!

I think I put 'F' bars in my old Ranger when I first ran these.............lower spring rate.

I think I put 'F' bars in my old Ranger when I first ran these.............lower spring rate.
now if only i didnt just take my tbars out to put lift keys in :banghead:

I swapped to "B" bars in 2006, they stiffened it up and stopped the bottoming out. My stock 98 Limited bounces on the bump stops every day, those bar are way too soft.

I swapped to "B" bars in 2006, they stiffened it up and stopped the bottoming out. My stock 98 Limited bounces on the bump stops every day, those bar are way too soft.

i do like the b bars but cranked sometimes they ride like hay wagon when i tried cranking it all hr way up for fun ;)

Hey, I didn't mind mine riding like a humvee sometimes! Especially if it meant clearing my 32s, but I was planning to do the coilovers so I could nab a little extra lift and be softer

Back