front and rear differential fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front and rear differential fluid

likibow

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
ST Limited V8 2007
Hi guys i have to change my st front and rear differential fluids i've seen for the 2002-2005 years 80w-90 front and 75w-140 on the rear is that correct for my 2007 st 4.6 limited?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys i have to change my st front and rear differential fluids i've seen for the 2002-2005 years 80w-90 front and 75w-140 on the rear is that correct for my 2007 st 4.6 limited?

Sounds right, double check your owners manual to be sure.

That's the problem i bought this car used and didn't came with the manuals ronin8002

Yes, both should be synthetic also. The front will have to be done by a shop or qwicky-lube with a suction machine (I go to Valvoline), on an '07-up the rear has a drain plug and is not hard to do yourself if you have a suction gun to fill it and take the spare tire out. There is a hole in the crossmember that you can run the fill tube through. You might think you can drain the front with a suction gun but trust me, it ain't gonna happen, I've tried it every which way, so save yourself the aggravation and just go to a lube shop. A limited-slip rear was not available in '07-up Tracs so you DO NOT need friction modifier even if the lube shop tries to talk you into it if you have a shop do the job. They're just trying to get you to spend more money.

You can also use a suction gun to change the lube in the transfer case. There is a drain plug and a fill plug on the back side, it takes Mercon ATF. I use Mobil 1 ATF in mine. The t-case is aluminum so don't overtighten the plugs or it will strip or crack the case. Just snug is fine.

I change the rear and the t-case every 30,000 myself and the front axle every 50,000 (twice so far) at the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube.

Back