Front AWD wheel bearings

Shrtimr

Reaction score
City, State
Arvada, Colo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer 5.0
Hello all,

I am repairing a 2000 AWD 5.0L Mountaineer for sale. One of my co-workers died a couple months ago and his out of state family asked me to repair and sell the truck.

I replaced the Upper control arms with bushings and ball joints. Both lower ball joints and both inner and outer tie rods. Then detailed the interior and took it in for an alignment.

Unfortunately, I hadn't noticed the seriously worn front bearings. I was given a very small repair budget. So, I ordered the inner bearings on line and planned to buy the outers locally. I recieved the inners Rockauto had listed for all 2000 AWD mountaineers yesterday. However they are both an internal needle bearing which I did not expect. This sent me on a search for info.

Today I found the entire hub assembly replacment on this site. You guys seam to have all the dirt(so to speak) about this truck.

So, On the Rockauto parts site they show all the AWD Explorers and mountaineers use this inner, However the outer can vary depending on spindle size. I now have this supposed inner. I also have a friend with a press. Issue is,... Can this be done by me without a press? has anyone here ever done this hub rebuild themself? OR, are there any suggestions anyone can give?

I hunted through around 50 pages before I started this thread but found nothing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hubs are a sealed assembly i dont think you can press the bearings in or out

the inner bearing you have might be for the front diff where the CV axles come out of.

Indeed, if you have a 4x4 (or AWD) Mountaineer, you have the wrong bearings. The front bearings are a hub assembly, similar to what you would find on a front wheel drive car. There is no inner and outer.

Also, they're not cheap... Likely well outside your 'small' budget...

You probably already figured out the wheel hub assembly problem. I have a bad wheel hub assembly as well and found one for $48 at autoparts123.com. hope this helps

Back