• Register Today It's free!

Front axle bolt size

89roadster

Reaction score
City, State
Kent Island, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB
So I made the mistake of having a garage replace the front axle gear oil when I had new tires put on and when I got it back the axle cover was leaking. Climbing under I found one of the bolts was stripped so I'll need to pull the diff and helicoil the bolt, but I can't pull the bolt out without removing the whole diff. I don't want to be out of action for a while, so...

Does anybody know the size/thread of the front axle cover bolts?

Thanks in advance.

Most stock differential cover bolts on mid size 'trucks' and SUVs have a 13mm or 1/2" head. The bodies are either 10mm or I think 3/8".

The housing is aluminum so a few seconds with a propane touch should get the bolt free (just dont melt it), and use a "bolt-out" on the head:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P

I hope you feel special, I removed my front diff earlier today but had not intended to pull the cover until well, now today. I took out a bolt for you on my way to the kegerator in the garage though.

The head is 13mm, thread is 20 TPI (so the head is probably 1/2" but the 13mm was snug), length is in the pic, looks to be 1" LOA.

get_file.php

A shop stripped the bolt?? I took that one out with the 3/8" ratchet, it was effortless and I'm positive it hadn't been moved since 1995. Someone not familiar with IFS must have though they could remove the cover without removing the diff (who knows how they thought that, the crossmember is severely in the way). I'd go cuss them up and down.

JL 3x12 Xplorer - you made my day...I do feel special ;) mmmmmmm...beer.

IZwack - it does appear to be the casing, maybe I'll by the helicoil, but try the propane (mapp gas should work...right?) first.

Thanks again!

Back