front axle inner c clip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front axle inner c clip

blacklab

Reaction score
City, State
bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am trying to install a new front driver side axle in a 99 sport.
There is a c clip on the inner end of the axle, the axle will go in till the c clip hit the female splines and stops. The clip is larger diameter than the axle shaft.
What does this clip do and how do I get the axle in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it should just click into place. as far as i know, it's just a locator that let's you know the axle is in all the way and it keeps it from falling out until the other end of the axle is in the hub. i'd call it a snap-ring.

It didn't snap, it was too big to fit in the female spline.
All is well, I took the clip off the old axle, it worked fine.

It didn't snap, it was too big to fit in the female spline.
All is well, I took the clip off the old axle, it worked fine.

glad you figured it out. i was gonna have you compare the new and old axles, but i didn't know if you turned it in as a core.

general tip: always compare replacement parts very carefully to your original part before turning in a core. you never know if there's some little piece you may need or if there's some difference between parts.

It is a new Cardone axle, the snap ring was too soft and wouldn't hold its shape after it was forced onto the axle.
I still figure out just what the snap ring does, the axle still slides in and out with no effort, as it did before.

It is a new Cardone axle, the snap ring was too soft and wouldn't hold its shape after it was forced onto the axle.
I still figure out just what the snap ring does, the axle still slides in and out with no effort, as it did before.

i told you it's purpose. it should just click into place.

Never, EVER return a core or toss an old part until the job is complete and you can verify the problem has been corrected. If you can't afford to be without the core deposit for a few days then you certainly can't afford to be buying new parts to compare if a part is defective or not.

Bill

Back