Front axle play | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Front axle play

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
Lately I've been having a lot of play in my front end. Just replaced the bearings about 4 months ago with new races and Timken Set 37. I thought maybe the spindle nuts had worked there way loose again, because that has happened before. I have a stock 93 Ex, with Warn manual locking hubs. Finally I removed the tires and checked the spindle nuts, they were fine. I noticed quite a bit of play in the actual spindle that wasn't there before. U joints seemed fine, play was coming from the whole shaft inside of the axle. Is there bearings in there I need to check? Yes the play goes away in 4x4.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

arco777

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
Yes, there are needle roller bearings inside the spindle.

<

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
With the hub off, some axle movement is normal. It will be ablt to be wiggled side to side 1/8", maybe 1/4".

<

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
That's about how much play there is. It just feels so loose in the front end and I can feel every little bump. New shocks installed last summer, new radius ARM bushings just after that and as mentioned new bearings. Guess that only leaves ball joints and tie rod ends. By the way I am not very happy with the Gabriel ultra shocks.

<

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
Sway bar bushings maybe?

<

arco777

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
That's about how much play there is. It just feels so loose in the front end and I can feel every little bump. New shocks installed last summer, new radius ARM bushings just after that and as mentioned new bearings. Guess that only leaves ball joints and tie rod ends. By the way I am not very happy with the Gabriel ultra shocks.

Yeah, Gabriel shocks are pretty bad.

Have you lifted each front wheel off the ground and yanked on it to check for play? You can often tell if the balljoints or tie rods are sloppy this way.

The sway bar bushings usually manifest themselves as a clunk in turns. You can check them easily for excessive slop or play but unless there is significant damage or deterioration they don't often affect bump feel.

<

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
The driver side wheel always had a little play in it moving it up and down while jacked up. This is something different though. Really rattly sounding and very bumpy.

<