• Register Today It's free!

front axle seal

ledzep68

Reaction score
City, State
watertown ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
I had a mechanic replace the front axle seal on my 4wd 96 ex , but it still seems to be seeping out. The seal is in the axle , where the axle meets up with the cv assembly. Is this a bear to replace? Do I need any special tools to get it done? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure its the axle shaft seals that are leaking? Reason I ask is because they are hardly known to leak compared to the pinion seal. The pinion seal is a more common failure. If it is indeed the axle shaft seals, its definately a difficult job for people who have never taken apart their front axle before. You have to remove the d35 from the truck to access the axle shaft seals.

It is leaking at the end of the axle , where the c-v axle enters into the solid axle. It is the diff fluid leaking. Also, what is the the d-35? That cartoon is very funny, by the way.

D35 is your front axle. Dana 35 IFS. I have replaced my seals before, not too hard except for removing everything to get the halfshaft out. Make sure you have a socket or seal cup big enough to hammer it in.

You have to remove the d35 from the truck to access the axle shaft seals.
Can someone confirm that the D35 needs to removed to replace the seals? It seems like the seal might be able to be removed in the truck since the axle shaft pulls out and not much would be in the way. I need to replace the driver side seal on my Dad's '97 5.0, and pulling the D35 would require me to allow some more time to finish the job.

ford says in car repair

my 99 service repair manual does not say anything about removing the entire d35 to get the half-shafts out.

pass. side tube where it's leaking?

you know... my pass. side has been dripping fluid forever.

multiple sets of half shafts, and even with my 2nd axle housing, I still loose a bit of fluid out of the pass. side axle tube.

and I have replaced the seals, which made absolutely no difference.

yes, they can be replaced without removing the whole assy.

only special tool would probably be a slide-hammer, although probably not necessary if you have a seal puller.

as for reinstalling, it's tricky to get everything lined up, but just a large socket that fits right on the outer-ring of the seal

Back