Front axle torque bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front axle torque bracket

RickOTR

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
Need to replace the front axle torque bracket bushing (F67Z-3A443-AA) as the rubber material is all gone at the top of the bushing and the torque bracket moves up and down when moving the truck. Questions is, do I have to lower and support the differential to remove the torque bracket, or can I leave the other two mounts bolted to the frame and just remove the bracket.

Here's a YouTube video I found on what's happening to my Ex...

I've never thought of removing just the bracket, in theory if you can get at the three bracket bolts you could R&R that.

I recently had to swap the bracket from one housing to another. I can tell you that those three bolts are easily lugnut tight. It took a breaker bar and just the right leverage standing on the housing to break them loose.

Let us know what it's like to replace those bushings. I hadn't noticed any wear on the four I've had out so far. Maybe I'm missing it, kind of like it's very tough to test BJ and TRE wear.

Finally got it done last night. No need to drop the front differential, just need to raise it high enough to get a large breaker bar in there to break the bolts loose. The rubber inside the bushing was all rotted and dried out. Now I can see why the torque bracket moved up and down. Need a press though to remove and install the bushing into the torque bracket.

Sadly, I found out that the drivers side hub bearing is wearing out and both half shafts are making a clunking noise when I move them back and forth by hand. Anyone have any experience with "Detroit Axle" as a replacement part.

Very good Rick, it sounded like it would work out that way.

I would avoid Detroit Axle right now, I've read a few negative reports about them so far. I had bought a front drive shaft CV rebuild kit last year to do a spare shaft I have. But I haven't put it in yet, though the components look like the parts I recall from doing one with a Dorman kit. I think that's a new parts brand that may sound old, but there's a lot of parts choices out there. That's not a proven one yet.

Back