Front Brake Pads 2013 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Brake Pads 2013 Explorer

dfox52

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Just purchased all new pads and rotors for my 2013 explorer. Rear brakes went in uneventful. However, when I opened the packaging for my front brakes I noticed that the new pads look slightly different than the old ones. Specifically, the new pads have stainless steel fingers attached to the ends of each pad. Can someone help me understand what these "fingers" are for and what I need to do to make sure the pads are installed correctly? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Update: The pads that cam with this kit are Powerstop 16-1611 front. All four pads have these metal "fingers" but there are two different shaped fingers (apparently two pads for the inner and two pads for the outer. I am at a loss as to whether these are just the wrong pads or if they are perhaps a different configuration from the stock OEM pads.

I wanted to insert a photo but I can't seem to figure out how. So I will try inserting a link to a web page showing what these pads look like.http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-16-1611-Ceramic-Brake/dp/B00FTU9JP8/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1464164167&vehicle=2013-54-663-656--9-6-8-13800--1-1-2832-29-3-0&sr=1-7&ymm=2013%3Aford%3Aexplorer&refinements=p_89%3APower+Stop

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just purchased all new pads and rotors for my 2013 explorer. Rear brakes went in uneventful. However, when I opened the packaging for my front brakes I noticed that the new pads look slightly different than the old ones. Specifically, the new pads have stainless steel fingers attached to the ends of each pad. Can someone help me understand what these "fingers" are for and what I need to do to make sure the pads are installed correctly? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Update: The pads that cam with this kit are Powerstop 16-1611 front. All four pads have these metal "fingers" but there are two different shaped fingers (apparently two pads for the inner and two pads for the outer. I am at a loss as to whether these are just the wrong pads or if they are perhaps a different configuration from the stock OEM pads.

I wanted to insert a photo but I can't seem to figure out how. So I will try inserting a link to a web page showing what these pads look like.http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-16-1611-Ceramic-Brake/dp/B00FTU9JP8/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1464164167&vehicle=2013-54-663-656--9-6-8-13800--1-1-2832-29-3-0&sr=1-7&ymm=2013%3Aford%3Aexplorer&refinements=p_89%3APower+Stop

The fingers slide over the caliper. I'll take a picture of mine when I get out of work.

The fingers slide over the caliper. I'll take a picture of mine when I get out of work.

Oh great! Thank you! At first I thought they were all the same but there are two of one kind and two of another kind. Apparently sets for inner and outer?

Look forward to seeing how yours fit! Thanks again!:)

Typically, these are anti-vibration clips. They are usually constructed such that they have a spring loaded force to keep them centered to prevent high-frequency vibration.

Back