front brake pads and rotors for 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front brake pads and rotors for 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

kmartin

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer Sport
What I like to know is what are good front brake pads and rotors for my 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac? I thought of Raybestos Advance Technology pads and rotors. Or would the professional grade be good enough. I know I have the professional grade pads on the rear. Or you suggest another brand would be better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good experience with their rotors, but I believe that the term 'Advanced Technology' does not mean much. If you look it up on Rockauto, you'll find several different types of Raybestos pads under that name. One of those (I think it was the semi-metallic) I had to return, because they needed warming up before developing enough friction. Perhaps just a bad lot, though.

What I like to know is what are good front brake pads and rotors for my 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac? I thought of Raybestos Advance Technology pads and rotors. Or would the professional grade be good enough. I know I have the professional grade pads on the rear. Or you suggest another brand would be better?

Regarding rotors, for a daily driver many prefer the stock design without drilled holes or slots.
After searches of many reviews, the days are over for American made rotors, 95% China mfg.

Depends on your application and use. Towing, hilly terrain, etc. For most, brand name semi-
metallic or ceramic pads are perfectly adequate. I'm a fan of ANY Wagner ThermoQuiet pad.

I put the Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and pads on my truck two years ago. I locked them up a few months ago for the first time to avoid a deer. Dead stop from about 55...and that's with 35x12.5 tires on steel wheels (and probably bad rear shoes). Still look good every time I've had the wheels off. Not saying they're the greatest, just that I've been satisfied.

I agree with swshawaii, Wagner ThemoQuiet pads and rotors from Rock Auto are the way to go. Did my fronts when I did the front end overhaul of my Trac in Oct of 2013, and show no wear when I rotated tires in November. Did brakes & rotor's on Mrs. mustang6878's Edge this fall, and could tell it was a nice upgrade over factory pads. Quiet, smooth braking, no dust.

Back