Front Brake Pads Replacement on 2003 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Brake Pads Replacement on 2003 Ford Explorer

jeffwhiteis

Reaction score
I've changed my front disc brakes on many of my other vehicles, but have never done the replacement on my 2003 Ford Explorer.

Would someone please point me in the direction of a good "how-to" or instruction page, preferably with pictures.

Also, the guy at the store said something regarding lubing up some parts during the replacement. I've never done this before, what was he referring to?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pads on the explorers are easy.
Did all 4 wheels in about an hr and Im no professional.

Simply take the wheel off
On the back of the caliper there are 2 bolts that hold it on
remove the 2 bolts and the caliper slides off

Pop out the old pads, push in the new.
I use some "disc quiet" silicon on the back of the pads where they touch the caliper. Its supposed to prevent noise. I only do it because I have a 8oz bottle a friend left in my garage so I figure what the hell....

position the caliper back on, put the 2 bolts back in and you're done.

As for lubing, I think the he might mean lubing the bolts as the caliper will slide a little for even pressure on both sides of the rotor.

don't forget to hang your calipers off the coil spring with coat hanger wire or thick tie wraps. and make sure the brake hose isn't twisted whe you rebolt the caliper, the little molding lines on the hose should make a pretty straight path from the brake line to the caliper, and not "twist" around the hose.

Spray your discs with brake cleaner before putting the caliper back on, and don't touch it with your hands afterwards

don't forget to hang your calipers off the coil spring with coat hanger wire or thick tie wraps. and make sure the brake hose isn't twisted whe you rebolt the caliper, the little molding lines on the hose should make a pretty straight path from the brake line to the caliper, and not "twist" around the hose.

Spray your discs with brake cleaner before putting the caliper back on, and don't touch it with your hands afterwards

Excellent advice!

I would just add ---- Make SURE you tighten the 2 caliper retaining bolts well (in fact, if you have some "loctite" I would put some on the bolts) - Yeah, don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Back